Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Casting or Rolling, Get Those Cares On Him

Not to be a picker of nit (whatever nit is), but the word cast in Psalm 55:22 means "cast" not "share". I think Chambers has gone a bit wrong here.

I get his idea, but the concept he refers to is worded differently in Scripture. Jesus says to take HIS yoke, not that He will "share" ours. In Psalm 55, the issue is different. This is a verse partially quoted in 1 Peter 5:7, and the point is that the trials of life, wicked neighbors, evil bosses, grumpy family, and slow drivers should not weigh me down emotionally. By casting my cares on Jesus, I let the "concern" or "worry" of them be gone. I am free to address them without feeling stressed.

So, I go through my day with the compound phrase running in the background, "You love me, You have my back, and I am at Your service." Part of why I can say that with assurance is because of this verse. I can cast my cares on my Master, the One watching my back. Sure, there are burdens I "share" with my Master, but I share His burdens; hurt and pain in this world, people running headlong toward hell, death, the sin of the world, you know, the small stuff.

It sounds like a joke, but these are the true attributes of this world which I can't control. While "yoked" with Jesus, the burden of them does not crush me. With my Master "pulling" the weight of them seems light. It's a large matter of perspective. The enormous quake in Japan and the resulting radiation leaks from fractured nuclear energy plants is not something I can handle, even though it may effect me tremendously. This is the burden of Jesus, and I share the burden of it with the Creator of the universe.

So today I will walk before my Master carelessly sharing His burden, but only because it's Him. Otherwise I'd be a wreck.

Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest": April 13th.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment