Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sidekick to a Super Hero?

I’m not sure why Chambers sites 2 Corinthians 1:20 and then takes his entry off of the parable of the talents in Matthew 25, but he does.  I believe his take on the parable has merit, but by brining in the verse from 2 Corinthians he undermines his point.  The parable may well be about the Spirit of my Master in me, but the verse in 2 Corinthians is about the good news Paul preached and whether his coming to Corinth indicates an inconsistency with that good news.  Paul takes the truth that all the promises of God (in the Hebrew Scriptures) are “yes” in Jesus and extends that into our “amen” to God being through Him as well.

That Jesus’ Spirit lives in me is unfathomable.  I really have no good answer to “why” this is, but I have ample confirmations that it is indeed.  As my Master calls me to things, I venture into them with the Spirit of Him who calls me, not my own resources.  Chamber’s point is that only lazy immature believers will push back on God like the servant with one talent.  They blame the Master and demean Him rather than take responsibility for their lack of success.

I admit that I have questioned God, I have cried to Him in confusion and frustration with what He was doing.  But I don’t recall ever blaming Him for my disobedience.  As an addict, that would fit perfectly with my tendencies, and I probably have blamed all sorts of people and circumstances, but I don’t remember blaming Him.  I have wondered if He made me with the pre-disposition toward addiction.  But that is still short of blaming my Master.  Don’t get me wrong, I have not acted with maturity and sense in regards to my particular sinful compulsions.  I just haven’t blamed them on my Master. 

But I have sought various promises of my Master, and I have seen some of them not come to fruition.  I believe this is for two reasons.  First, my Master is Sovereign.  Second, I don’t believe every promise is for every believer.  I suppose that depends on how I define those promises.  I see every assurance from my Master recorded in Scripture as a promise.  But clearly, not everything He has assured in Scripture is for every historical period or person.  I suppose in that subset of promises which are for His chosen people, most apply generally to all.  But even there, while I consider myself chosen of my Master, I do not classify myself as one of the Hebrews.  I do believe there are a set of promises belonging only to them.

So, while all the promises of my Master are “yes” in Him is true, even for me, I still do not expect to enjoy them all.  I expect only what my Master chooses in His sovereign authority.  Perhaps the second greatest of all these promises is the Spirit of Him who promises.  So, as I venture out into obedience, I do so with the presence of Him who sends me, not just His power.  I see this as very important, because power is neutral, and can be used by anyone able to harness it.  I do not “harness” my Master.  I go, but I go knowing the One Coming Along Side to Help (Paraclete) is truly along side me to help.  That is vastly different than having the “power” to accomplish the task.  In essence, my Master is accomplishing the task, and I am there to help Him.  After all, He is the Master and I am the servant.  In another sense, He is the “Hero” and I am the “sidekick”.

So, I don my mask and tights, let loose a trite phrase, and follow my Master into another day of triumphing over evil with justice.  Holy Son of Man, Jesus! What shall we do today?

Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest": April 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment