Monday, April 18, 2011

The Tasks of My Master Along the Way

Today, I head for New York, so my next entry will be from just outside the Big Apple. I will be there for several days for work, and it is a great opportunity.  But I also wonder if there will be some other sorts of opportunities.  In the entry today from MUFHH, Chambers uses Moses’ initial response at the burning bush to illustrate being ready for that to which my Master might call me.  He points out a difference between the dramatic level of a calling, and that I should be ready for menial things as well as grand ones.

I travel today with hundreds of people I don’t know, to some place I am unfamiliar, to do something I’ve never done.  So, what if this trip is not about me?  But what if whatever my Master wants of me is something I might consider small?  Will I miss it because of its seeming insignificance?  How can I even measure significance?  I know that I am travelling with three other people from my office.  I know that we will be seated spread out through the plane.  So I can be reasonably sure I will be seated by someone I don’t know.  So, my question for my Master should be, “What would You have me do in the life of this one?”  In any conversation, I would be looking for that place my Master is already at work.

But there are other things I am concerned about as well.  Trips away from my family are lonely for me, and loneliness is one the things I medicate with bad behavior.  So, I will be in dangerous territory, dangerous for me anyway.  But here again, my Master may have a task.  This is also an opportunity to review these past blog entries, and review the path on which my Master has led me.  I have something to read, which I should enjoy reading (I wrote it after all).  But I also have something to find.  The growth I have enjoyed over the last few months has formed a path, and this gives me an opportunity to look back over the path for trends, successes and failures, areas of growth and strength, and some consistent thing my Master may be telling me which I have missed (sort of a forest-tree thing).

So, I have a prepared task, and possible opportunities along the way.  I have good reasons to look forward to this trip, and the usual things to dread.  But it is short and focused, so it is easy for which to pack, and I have no bags to check.  I should pass easily through security since I am prepared, bottle-baggie, slip-on shoes, and all.  So, even the usual problems will be minor annoyances.  But the crowds on a Monday will be the usual, the lines, the waiting, the restlessness of anticipation, and the ‘tweens (that time in between events too short to actually start or continue something, but long enough to be bored).  Oh well, 21st Century travel: It’s not through space like the old science fiction books and movies predicted.  So, off I go into the blue yonder, no longer wild, with one purpose known, but looking for opportunities.

Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest": April 18th.

No comments:

Post a Comment