Saturday, April 9, 2011

What? You Haven’t Seen Jesus Yet?

In this entry from MUFHH, I run into one of those “Christian” references which irritate me.  “Have you seen Jesus?”  I am never certain what is meant here.  At least, at one point, Chambers uses the term “vision” which at least implies an image of some sort whether seen in the mind or through the eyes (usually, in traditional Christian-speak it means in the mind).  The reason this reference bothers me is its use to differentiate between the spiritual believers, and those who are aren’t quite as spiritual.  Paul seemed to have a similar problem with some of the churches he was involved with in various regions of Asia Minor.  Which only serves to demonstrate that some things never change.

On the other hand, there is an experiential value to a vision of Jesus which is hard to express, but is very powerful.  A philosopher might consider it almost empirical evidence except it cannot be reproduced.  A scientist runs into much the same problem.  An author would flail about for word pictures and still come to the bottom of the adjective, metaphor, and simile barrels.  A business person would be unable to quantify or qualify the experience that defies ratios and analysis (how frustrating).  An administrator would be unable to organize anything approaching a good representation of the event which could be collated or filed.  An artist would paint and sculpt the most beautiful abstract images, and still not be able to exactly capture the experience. 

Sounds intriguing, but does it really differentiate between the more spiritual and the less?  I don’t believe so, and here’s why.  I too have had a “vision” of Jesus.  In my younger adult days, I was enjoying myself and my life but with a nagging darkness in the back of my mind.  I knew no one knew about a part of my life which was clearly unacceptable to my Master and would be to anyone else as well.  Yet I was a “leader” in our church.  At church one morning, while sitting in a pew toward the front, piano-side, during the music where we remained seated, I was “sucked” into a vision of entering the gates of heaven into the shining presence of my Master.  It was very fast, rather short, and literally took my breath away.  My reaction to it startled those with whom I sat.  I heard no voice, received no message, and saw nothing very distinct.  I was merely left with the distinct impression and image of being drawn (as if flying) through the “gates” of heaven and into the presence of my Master, though I could not see His face for the brightness of the light coming from Him but glowing everywhere.  Then I was back in the pew.  It felt dramatic and I was pondering it when the preacher started the sermon on whether or not we were saved.  He suddenly had my rapt attention because what he spoke about played on the shame at the back of my mind and I was convicted that I was not saved, not in a relationship with my Master, had just been fooling myself, my friends, and my family for all these years.  But I had that vision. 

I believe that Jesus did not give me that vision (forced it on me really) because I was more spiritual, but because I was less.  I needed that extra faith to be able to hang onto what He had done, been doing, and was continuing to do in my life.  Yes, I needed to hand that portion of my life over to Him, confess it to someone I trusted, and let others hold me accountable to it.  But that is not accepting Jesus as my Lord, and believing in my heart God raised Him from the dead.  I had done that already.  My problem was not that I had not entered into a relationship with my Master, but that I had not surrendered a portion of my life to His mastery.  The vision I had been given was to bolster me against a necessary onslaught.  The application to the pastor’s sermon was different for me, but I would not have seen that had I not had the vision.  I needed it because I had a weakness no one knew about.

So, perhaps, visions can be “rewards” for some who have achieved some spiritual milestone.  I know that a vision can lead to a deeper connection to Jesus, or understanding of what being in a relationship with Him means.  But I also know two other things.  I know that visions of my Master come from my Master, and I know that He provides them for a purpose specific to the person experiencing it.  I don’t think of or qualify the someone who has had a vision as more spiritual.  In fact I typically qualify others as more spiritual than myself anyway, vision or not.  It’s not a source of pride that I was given a vision to strengthen me at a point of weakness, but rather a sign of my weakness.  So, I will boast all the more in my weakness, though that is not what Paul was talking about.  It still points out the amazing extremes of the grace of my Master, and that is a valid point to be made.

Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest": April 9th.

No comments:

Post a Comment