Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Creator of My Soul... Again

One aspect or term of life with my Master is the use of the preposition "in" to refer to it. It's a great way to refer to it, but is uncomfortably general. What I mean by that is that the use of "in" has a lot of range in English, and a lot of that is metaphorical. So while the Christian Scriptures can, and probably do, use "in" this way, the question is to what degree is it actually a real positional reference and not metaphorical.

That may sound weird, but when speaking of the Spirit living IN me, is that metaphorical or positional? Most likely it is positional, rather than metaphorical. So when Paul refers to believers being IN Christ, how much of that is positional and how much is metaphorical? I don't see it as all or nothing but with the ability to be taken both ways at once. So, I can be positionally in Christ in a situation or decision, but also metaphorically in Christ as I go through the process or event.

So when do I become a new creation? When do old things pass? When do I or my things become new? 2 Corinthians 5:17 skips a lot of detail about that. The chapter is about reconciliation and my part in my Master's work of reconciliation. The idea is that I see people from a different perspective once reconciled to my Master. So perhaps this verse should be limited to those things in reference to relationships, so being IN my Master changes my relationships, not necessarily all things. In that case as I sink positionally into my Master, I metaphorically relate from being in my Master, like being metaphorically in trouble. Yet the spiritual relationship I have with my Master also puts me positionally in Him at the same time.

So, today, from within my Master, I will relate to my family, other drivers, and anyone met along the way as if I'm in my Master. Well, that will be the goal reached only to the degree that the metaphor become more positional.

Oswald Chambers - Readings
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment