Monday, October 24, 2011

Being Spoils of War Is Good, Right?

It seems that 2 Corinthians 2:14 caused a bit of trouble translating for some English versions.  It must be a “Western Thought” issue.  Literally, what Paul says is, “Thank you God for leading me in your triumphal procession in Christ.”  And what that term, “triumphal procession” refers to is the practice in their day of a conquering general (or emperor) leading a procession of captives and captured booty through their capital city and finally through a huge arch commemorating the victory.

So the idea Paul is conveying is that he is part of this train of captives and captured stuff led behind Jesus, made a public spectacle, and he is thankful for that.  Most English translations make it sound like we are all part of the celebrants rather than what is being shown off from the victory.  Paul’s picture of this metaphor for the life of a believer is quite different.  It’s not a party per se, but it’s being a display of the power of my Master; I’m a slave, captured in battle, and I am now owned by my Conqueror.  That’s a very different perspective, yet Paul still rejoices.

The reason for the rejoicing in being conquered is because the battle was over what kept me captive to sin, separated from my Maker, and cut off from what I was designed to be.  So, yes, I’m a captured slave, and still a slave; but in a very real sense I am also redeemed, not with money, but with blood, redeemed in battle, fought over.  My perspective is that I am one of those my Master went to war over and captured, part of His spoils of war.  That transforms the situation dramatically.

One of the realities that I have struggled to embrace is my enslavement.  I am a slave to something, but I get to choose my Master.  It’s a choice I need to make daily.  I can accept the part I play in the triumphal procession of my conquering Master, or I can fight that and try to maintain my enslavement to my former master, sin.  It sounds really stupid, but that is pretty much my choice.  What I can’t figure out from this position is why it’s such a difficult choice to make in the heat of the moment.  What’s the attraction of the other master?  I don’t get it.

I should be able to easily enjoy the life of a slave to my Master.  There can be no better Master.  In fact, this Master treats me as an adopted child.  How much better can it get than that?  Why not join with Paul in being a rejoicing captive led behind the Maker of stars, as He shows off what He has captured from His enemy?  Why should that be an embarrassment? It was in my best interest to be captured.  Why my loyalty should not easily shift to my new Master I don’t get.  That is probably the mark of the curse from the garden; the knowledge of good and evil that makes me want to be in the judges seat rather than let my Master rule from that seat.

Whether I fight against the chains or raise them in thankfulness, I am still in chains led behind my Master in triumph.  It doesn’t matter if I like it or not, my Master has defeated my old master, and I am a trophy of His; spoils of His victory.  The war is over, peace has come.  My state remains a slave, but my circumstances have vastly improved.  Life is good, and I would enjoy it so much more if I would just cling to my new Master and never let go.  For whatever reason, every once in a while, I miss my old pig sty and slop trough.  How silly is that?  Thanks be to God, the One leading me in triumph in Christ!

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, October 24

No comments:

Post a Comment