Saturday, October 22, 2011

Can I Get a Witness?

There are times I read MUFHH and think I'm missing a part of the story. This one makes me think there was more to that discussion, like someone asking him why they did not sense the "witness" of God's Spirit? Something that required such a turn on this passage that so sharply deviates from a usual discussion of it. And something that raises the ire in him.

This chapter of Romans has a special place in my heart. And this verse is one of the reasons. I get a tremendous comfort from knowing that I am a child of my Master, and that this amazing truth is confirmed by the presence of His Spirit in me.

So it seems odd to consider that I need to abandon obediently to my Master before He confirms my adoption through His Spirit. How exactly is the conformation more than the presence of my Master's Spirit? I ask because if the confirmation is more than His presence in my life, then I am in danger of relying on my own interpretation of what might be used to confirm my adoption. That's a problem for me. There are lot's of ways I sense the presence of the Spirit of my Master, and some of them come as I wander off the path, not only when I'm well connected to my Master. In fact there are times I'm well connected but don't 'feel' all that close or emotional about it; I just know I am. Does that negate the confirmation of my adoption? I would think not.

On the other hand, confirmation that I'm on the right path of obedience comes when I am. I find myself on that path when I am truly focused on my Master and His will. So, in that sense, my obedient abandon does bring a confirmation, just not of my adoption. Am I only the child of my Master when I obey? Will He only speak to me then? See, there are elements I'm missing in Chamber's discussion. So, for this entry, I'm missing some context.

That being said, Romans 8:16 gives me comfort in knowing I need not worry about my adoption by my Master; He has it covered. That is very nice to know. It is an incomprehensible amount of grace on the part of the Maker of stars that He would know me, let alone adopt me. I rather like that.

Oswald Chambers - Readings
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment