Sunday, July 14, 2013

What Shall We Bring?

1Sa 9:5-8
5 When they came to the land of Zuph, Saul said to his servant who was with him, “Come, and let us return, or else my father will cease to be concerned about the donkeys and will become anxious for us.” 6 He said to him, “Behold now, there is a man of God in this city, and the man is held in honor; all that he says surely comes true. Now let us go there, perhaps he can tell us about our journey on which we have set out.” 7 Then Saul said to his servant, “But behold, if we go, what shall we bring the man? For the bread is gone from our sack and there is no present to bring to the man of God. What do we have?” 8 The servant answered Saul again and said, “Behold, I have in my hand a fourth of a shekel of silver; I will give it to the man of God and he will tell us our way.”
(NASBStr)

Saul and his 'boy' had been through several regions looking for the donkeys of Saul's father. Saul wants to return, but his servant mentions the 'seer' in this city (Zuph?), and they decide to ask him. But Saul is concerned that they have no gift to bring. All they want to do is find out which way to travel, but want to be able to pay for the service.

How often do I simply assume what I want from my pastor is just part of my normal tithe and offerings? Samuel received from the circuit he made judging, he participated in sacrifices, and was well supplied from his 'services', why did Saul assume he had to pay him?

It is possible this is how Samuel's sons started taking bribes and possible 'corruption' was just an assumed part of a seers role. But I suspect that there was more involved. Saul and his boy seem to understand that Samuel lived off the services he provided, and that those who received the services contributed to that living.

So in my participation at my place of worship, among my fellow worshippers, do I contribute to the living of those living off the service they provide to me? Or do I assume what I tithe is sufficient for both my Master's work and my Master's servants?

Don't get me wrong, it is necessary to tithe, but isn't that to my Master? What if whatever is above the tithe is for His servants living off their service? There are passages which say that the portion of the tribe of Levi was the tithes and sacrifices of the people. But doesn't that just mean they live off their service rather than stipulate that's all they get, the tithes? What about the offerings that aren't tithes? What about the services they provide in teaching the people? They decide on holiness issues and inquire of God on the people's behalf. What about these services which don't have a 'share' per se?

I think I can grow in this area. I think I can widen my view of my participation in contributing to the living of those living off their service to my Master. I think this will only glorify my Master more. I suspect blessings await me, favor from my Master, if I grow in this area. They are His servants; how can helping them not bring favor from my Master? Don't I receive an immediate benefit just in the service they provide to my Master? In a sense I'm just returning the favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment