Thursday, July 4, 2013

Don't Take It Personal, Or Do

But the thing was displeasing in the sight of Samuel when they said, "Give us a king to judge us." And Samuel prayed to the LORD. The LORD said to Samuel, "Listen to the voice of the people in regard to all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me from being king over them. Like all the deeds which they have done since the day that I brought them up from Egypt even to this day -- in that they have forsaken Me and served other gods -- so they are doing to you also. (1 Samuel 8:6-8 NASB)
 One of the things about prayer that often escapes a believer in Jesus is that it opens the person praying to the scrutiny of their Maker.  It's not like He only sees us in prayer, but prayer is often the time we're listening or the closest to listening we come.  So we are most likely to hear a corrective word at those times.

Samuel goes to God in prayer because the people he's been judging have asked for a king instead.  The request displeased him, so he prayed.  That's a good idea, a pattern we can all follow.  When displeased, pray.  Actually that's just one of tons of reasons to pray.  But it is one.  It's the one where what is sought is perspective, but it's also one of the more likely reasons to invite that divine scrutiny.

God starts by pointing out that this is not about Samuel.  Right off the bat, God points out that "...they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me from being king over them."  Samuel doesn't want to oblige the people.  God says to do it.  But hidden in the reason is an acknowledgement that this is also a rejection of Samuel.

God ties the desire of the people for a king to their rejection of Him as king over them, but also to their prior deeds of serving other gods.  Then he acknowledges that this is a rejection of Samuel.  The point is that, while it may involve Samuel, it's not about Samuel.  This is really about God.  God helps Samuel re-frame the problem in a way that he can see how this is about God, and the people's rejection of their God as king.

I have to admit that my prayer times are dangerous, vulnerable times as well.  I'm not always ready to hear that what I'm facing isn't about me at all.  I tend to think that, if I'm involved, it's about me.  Even caught between my customers and my company, as I so often am, is a problem about my Master rather than me.  Sure, I'm involved, directly involved.  But when I place myself as the central character, all the things I cannot control weigh on me in ways that are simply frustrating.  The thing is, if I can't control them, then they aren't mine to carry.

Essentially, to be thought well of by my customers, I engage in the "middleman" role in trying to get their issue with our product fixed.  It's not wrong to place myself in this position, it's wrong to do to look good to my customer.  I do want their repeat business, but when I try to please them, I am wrongly motivated, and in danger of idolatry.  What my Master does is help me re-frame my understanding of these circumstances as service to Him.

When a customer has a problem, I help them bridge the gap between their problem and the solutions buried deep in my company's murky inner workings.   I do so because that is what my Master did for me.  What I was incapable of doing for myself He did.  I didn't even really understand the problem, even describing it.  I didn't know that the solution for my lack of peace and constant fear was a relationship with the Master of the universe.  My customers don't really know what the problem is, just what the effects are on them.

So, when I pray, my frustrations, my whining, my complaints, my anger, all the things I take to my Master that I think are so much about me wind up being the things He uses to teach me to die to myself a bit more.  It's ironic, but He also acknowledges that I am involved.  He did this with Samuel when He says, "...so now they are doing to you also." What that meant for Samuel is that God was going to use him in this transition just as He had been using him before.  What it means for me is that in these circumstances I face, God is using me.  Perhaps to bless my customers, to alleviate their frustrations, or maybe even to help them re-frame their understanding that this isn't as much about them as they thought.

So, it's not about me, but my Master uses me in the midst of it.  This is why He has called me to be a servant to my King.  He wants me available to Him.  When I get focused on myself, my frustrations, and my problems, I'm not as available.  He refocuses me on Him, and then involves me in what He is doing.  Did I mention this happens in prayer?  Can you imagine what I lose when I don't take time to pray?  Blind frustration with the wrong thing is a poor substitute to usefulness in my Master's Kingdom.  You'll have to excuse me, I have to go talk with my my King.

No comments:

Post a Comment