Monday, July 15, 2013

Remind Me Why They Have a King?

Now a day before Saul's coming, the LORD had revealed this to Samuel saying, "About this time tomorrow I will send you a man from the land of Benjamin, and you shall anoint him to be prince over My people Israel; and he will deliver My people from the hand of the Philistines. For I have regarded My people, because their cry has come to Me." (1 Samuel 9:15-16 NASB)
In the previous chapter, Samuel wrangles with the people's demand for a king, and what that means for the country and for him.  Here, the king is coming, and Samuel is about to discover him.  But the reasoning from God is now different.  It is more his response to the problem of the Philistines, which another passage prior said weren't a problem during Samuel's life.  It's not a huge issue, but it's worth looking at for a simple reason: it appears contradictory.

In 1 Samuel 7: 13 it says that the Philistines were subdued and did not come anymore within the border of Israel.  And the hand of Yahweh was against the Philistines all the days of Samuel.  Why then in 1 Samuel 9:16 does God now say, "...and he will deliver My people from the hand of the Philistines.  For I have regarded My people, because their cry has come to Me."  These seem to be at odds.  Or are they?

When the Philistines are defeated in chapter 7, Samuel is setting up a stone, not out there whacking Philistines.  God did the real work, and the people chased after the retreating foe.  Samuel really wasn't some strategic or tactical combat leader.  Sure he was effective, but only in keeping the people tied to God.  God did the "rescuing" from their enemies.

When they come to Samuel in chapter 8, they want a king so they can be like the other nations.  There are lots of "nations" made of single cities, and several made up of several kings, but the commonality was that these kings ruled out of success in combat.  It was different to have Samuel, a "nerd" leader, who didn't lead into combat.  They wanted a "battle chief".  So, God finds one for them.

So, it's not that the people weren't delivered from the hand of the Philistines at that point, it was that God has decided to acquiesce to their request and deliver them a different way.  Saul would also deliver God's people from the hand of the Philistines.  For their cry was not that God deliver them from the Philistines but that God grant them the credibility among their neighbors that is brought by a military king.

I wonder if I sometimes get what I ask for because my Master has "regarded" me and my "cry" has come to Him as well.  Where it's not that I need something, or that I'm in any danger, but that my Master has heard me and gives what I want.  It seems dangerous, but only in a limited fashion.  I can only assume that my Master would give me something that is not contrary to His purpose for me, and that will continue to bring glory to His name.  I may not like how these things are accomplished, but they will not fail because my Master has given me what I asked for.  I can also assume that when He doesn't give me what I want, that what I want does not accomplish those things; at least not the way He has chosen to bring them about. 

This does a few things for me.  First, I can ask without fear.  What I ask will never thwart my Master.  Second I can be sure what comes my way, whether I asked for it or not, fits in His purpose and brings Him glory.  If I don't get my request, what I do get is what fits His design more.  These are comforting things to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment