Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Judgement of The King

Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah; and they said to him, "Behold, you have grown old, and your sons do not walk in your ways. Now appoint a king for us to judge us like all the nations." (1 Samuel 8:4-5 NASB)

He said, "This will be the procedure of the king who will reign over you: 
  • he will take your sons and place them for himself in his chariots and among his horsemen and they will run before his chariots.
  • He will appoint for himself commanders of thousands and of fifties, 
  • some to do his plowing and to reap his harvest 
  • and to make his weapons of war and equipment for his chariots.
  • He will also take your daughters for perfumers and cooks and bakers.
  • He will take the best of your fields and your vineyards and your olive groves and give them to his servants.
  • He will take a tenth of your seed and of your vineyards and give to his officers and to his servants.
  • He will also take your male servants and your female servants and your best young men and your donkeys and use them for his work.
  • He will take a tenth of your flocks, 
  • and you yourselves will become his servants.
Then you will cry out in that day because of your king whom you have chosen for yourselves, but the LORD will not answer you in that day." (2 Samuel 8:11-18 NASB)
 When you hear the word, "judgement", you may think of a guy in a black robe up behind a tall desk with a wooden hammer.  You'd be right, at least for our culture.  In the culture of Israel in the period of the judges, this was not quite right.

The judges of the period of judges sat, and decided disputes between people and tribes that couldn't be decided internally by the elders.  The elders of cities and families sat in "gates" of cities and disputes were brought there.  The "judges" of Israel sometimes traveled in a circuit from city to city, and others stayed in one place.  The judges could be from any tribe and they typically didn't pass their responsibility down to their children.

Now for this passage, one of the difficulties faced by translators was to effectively convey the meaning of the passage when the word typically meaning "judgement" is being used with a much wider range of meaning than normal.  The word is used in verse 1 referring to the "office" of judge, in verse 2 referring to the activity of "judging", in verse 5 and 6 to refer to the activity of judging but as part of the office of "king", and in verse 9 and 11 to refer to the practice that would actually be followed by kings.  The last reference has little to do with deciding disputes in any way.  It more likely caused disputes than resolved any.

So, the judgement of the king, translated as "procedure of the king" in verses 9 and 11, involve conscription and taxation.  The king will take their children for service in his administration, and their flocks and harvest to support his administration.  It's not shocking to us reading this from a 21st Century perspective.  This sounds like every text-book king and tyrant we've ever read about.  But that hasn't been their life up to now.

Up to this time, the people brought such tithes and offerings to the temple or tabernacle, as part of their annual worship of God.  Even so, there was no taking of children for service, no taking of servants.  They brought a tithe and enjoyed it before God and with their family.  That was the extent of it unless they were oppressed by another country.  God's demands were pretty light considering, and if they didn't do it, the penalties were often slow in coming.  He was a much easier King to serve.  That was all about to change.

The judge they sought so they could be like other nations would treat them as the people of other nations were treated.  They were about to get the bad they didn't understand with the good they thought they did.  Now their children were no longer their own.  The offerings they brought to God were now on top of, and often from what was left by, the king's requirements.  Ironically, these are not the "procedures of the king" as God gave them to Moses.

What God tells Samuel is to tell the people the "judgement of the king", which is not the same term as what was given to Moses in Deuteronomy 17.  But the content of Deuteronomy 17 is what is expected here.  Instead of the rules the king must follow, what is given is the practice that kings will follow.  Why does God describe a practice instead of prescribing the practice?

I don't know.  I suspect that God wanted to warn the people so they couldn't say they didn't know what would happen.  But honestly, what purpose could He hope to accomplish with that?  I suspect the purpose of God was helping the people see that they had it much easier under His kingship.  It's possible that they thought they had it rough with judges.  But they may not have seen their relationship with God as Him as their king.  The requirements He made on them was much like tribute, taxation, even conscription to a degree in that He had a whole tribe to serve Him.  But they may not have seen it that way.

How many times in my life have I thought I had it rough with God?  When have I thought I had a much better idea than the requirements of my relationship with my Master?  There are requirements in this relationship, things I'm not supposed to do, things I am supposed to do.  When I lose sight of my Master as King, when I forget the cost He paid for this relationship, when I ignore the comfort of His Spirit, then it's very easy to wind up where the people were in this passage.

The reality is that my Master tries to remind me before punishing me.  His first response isn't crushing blows.  I do get His understanding, His compassion, and His mercy.  I miss that sometimes when I'm so caught up in...me.

Judgement also refers to "discernment"; the ability to differentiate between two things and choose the right one, to see the true character and meaning of events, things, and people.  It's not all about deciding disputes.  There is something else involved.  So the judgement of my King, Jesus, is not always harsh, sometimes it is very understanding.  My judgement is not always clear and correct because I rarely see the whole circumstance.  The key is to let my judgement fall to His.  The key is to let His judgement reign supreme in my life.  And the key to that is to stop staring at myself and look up toward Him.  A servant is available to their master; a good servant is available by choice, a bad one is available for punishment.  I want to be that good servant of my King, that is what He has called me to be. Today, I stand ready for the purposes of my King. 

No comments:

Post a Comment