Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Humble Beginnings = Good Beginnings

When he had finished prophesying, he came to the high place.  Now Saul's uncle said to him and his servant, "Where did you go?" And he said, "To look for the donkeys. When we saw that they could not be found, we went to Samuel."  Saul's uncle said, "Please tell me what Samuel said to you."  So Saul said to his uncle, "He told us plainly that the donkeys had been found." But he did not tell him about the matter of the kingdom which Samuel had mentioned. (1 Samuel 10:13-16 NASB)
Saul had a wild day that day.  On his way back to his father, he and his servant met people who confirmed the word of Samuel that their donkeys had been found, gave them bread for their journey, and finally Saul was "possessed" of the Spirit of God, and prophesied with a company of prophets.  He winds up at a high place of worship, and there his uncle finds him.  He has been told that he will be his peoples first king, and the three meetings confirm the word of Samuel.  But he's not sure.

There are a lot of problems with Saul's character that come out in later chapters, but there is much that indicates he at least started well.  The weight of ruling Israel weighed heavy on him at the outset, and he wasn't one to rush in and take the reigns lightly or eagerly.   Later they can't find him because he was hiding among the baggage.

In a sense he is a reluctant king.  In the sense that he is, it speaks well of him.  He didn't seize power, he didn't expect the acclaim, he didn't jump at the opportunity when offered.  He took the role very seriously, and I believe, when his history is examined, he does so all through his reign.  It may be that those reluctant to take the reigns of leadership are better suited to do so.  Yet not every great leader in Scripture fits this characteristic.  Saul does.

Interestingly, where he is reluctant to take it, he is manic to keep it.  Really, his fight with David is over whether or not he will have a "dynasty" not remain king.  I believe he understands that David will not overthrow him, but he is equally clear that his son will not become king with David around.  Yet his beginning is very humble, and not in show, but in character.

I learn from this that humility is important to have at the outset of a task or role my Master gives me, but it is also important to maintain.  I don't do so well at this, especially as success comes in the midst of the task assigned to me.  It's often easy to become comfortable, the confident, and then to take the task for granted, as if I'm either owed or have earned the role. 

Saul missed that his role was less about him and more about God and His people.  I will be more happy and experience more peace when I remember that my roles and tasks given by my Master are always about Him and His people rather than about me.  If I can maintain that understanding and cling to it throughout the role and task, then I will be able to maintain that right standing before my Master; the standing where humility is just part of who I am rather than a characteristic I display only at the outset.  This is especially difficult for me at work, and it unfortunately shows in my attitude.  I need to readdress this.

No comments:

Post a Comment