Monday, October 1, 2012

Giving the Advantage

Now at this time while the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint arose on the part of the Hellenistic Jews against the native Hebrews, because their widows were being overlooked in the daily serving of food. So the twelve summoned the congregation of the disciples and said, "It is not desirable for us to neglect the word of God in order to serve tables. Therefore, brethren, select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may put in charge of this task. But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word." The statement found approval with the whole congregation; and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas and Nicolas, a proselyte from Antioch. And these they brought before the apostles; and after praying, they laid their hands on them. (Acts 6:1-6 NASB)
Strife among believers is truly nothing new.  Here it is in the early days of the church in Jerusalem.  And here it happening during the times things are going fairly well.  The church is growing in spite of the threats of the elders of Israel.  The congregation is held in respect by the people.  Signs and wonders accompany declaration that Jesus is both Messiah and Savior.  But life is about to change.

First, they now have this internal strife, which is the part I'm looking at today.   I have said before that I believe that of those visiting Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost, many of the believing ones stayed right there in Jerusalem.  This passage sort of supports that view.  Where did these "Hellenistic Jews" come from in such numbers as to have such influence in the congregation?  I believe they are made up of the 3000 added to the church on the day of Pentecost.  One of the things I said about that was that the economy of Jerusalem would probably not easily support such a surge in population very easily.  That is what made the response and attitude of the church to such a huge amount of need so necessary.  But having or acquiring the resources to help doesn't mean that the help will be managed well.

The second way life is about to change for the church has to do with those selected for this ministry.  We only track two, Stephen and Philip, but the implication is that the gospel is about to explode out of Jerusalem.  This is accomplished on the circumstances surrounding these two men.  So, in a very real and obvious way, this chapter sets up Stephen for the major turn in the life of the church.  I'll address that in later entries.

One section of the body of believers (and I suspect a very LARGE section) is being neglected in the distribution of the money laid at the apostle's feet by those selling property.  Their complaint isn't ignored by the apostles.  I believe that part of what is happening to the group dynamic is that, as other believers are added the ratio of Hellenistic Jews to Hebrew (Palestinian Jews) has slipped toward more of a balance.  I doubt they are equal or that the Hebrews out number the Hellenistic Jews, not yet anyway.  But enough of a change has happened that the service to those in need has slipped along "regional" lines.

The apostles decide on a solution where the people choose people to administer the food distribution.  This sounds like a wonderful solution to the people, and the people find seven men.  Here's the odd thing.  These names have meanings in Greek, but not in Hebrew.  What I mean by that is they are not Aramaic or Hebrew transliterations, but actually Greek names.  Philip is the only one with occurrences in other texts besides the Christian Scriptures, but they are still references to either non-Palestinian Jews or Greek/Roman people.  So what?  The seven were Hellenistic Jews, not Palestinian Jews.  Again, so what?  The solution gives away the advantage of administering the ministry to the ones complaining.

Why is giving into the complainers, giving them control over the problem a good idea?  What can I learn from this?  Well, there are lots of lessons probably, but the one I come away with addresses one of my specific issues, control.  When I rely on my Master for a solution, I have to let go my control of it.  I really want to "guide" the solution to one that makes sense to me, but that would act against my faith.  By letting go of solutions, I grow my faith by allowing my Master to stretch it.  I suppose I consider solutions to my problems partly my responsibility or "right", but submission to my Master must include solutions to problems I bring to Him.  I have to leave them with Him to truly act in faith.  And when He presents a solution then I need to accept it without modification.  I'm not entirely comfortable with that.  I suppose that's sort of the point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment