Friday, September 28, 2012

The Variety of Ministry

Now at this time while the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint arose on the part of the Hellenistic Jews against the native Hebrews, because their widows were being overlooked in the daily serving of food. So the twelve summoned the congregation of the disciples and said, "It is not desirable for us to neglect the word of God in order to serve tables. Therefore, brethren, select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may put in charge of this task.  But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word." The statement found approval with the whole congregation; and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas and Nicolas, a proselyte from Antioch.  And these they brought before the apostles; and after praying, they laid their hands on them. (Acts 6:1-6 NASB)

Well, yesterday and last night went well.  Wednesday was probably the most difficult, but yesterday went very well.  It ended with our small group studying Acts 5, and the conviction about how much like Ananias I am, and little like the apostles.  I couldn't make excuses, I need more faith.  That's all there is to that tune.

In the passage above, there is a word used in a variety of ways, and it's the word from which we derive the office of "deacon".  The word was used in the first century to refer to government ministers (bureaucrats) and waiters.  It means to serve in some way.  In the passage above the twelve apostles use it to refer to the ministry of dispensing food to needy widows, but also to their work with Scripture.

In this text, the apostles want to get back to the "ministry of the word" and prayer rather than "serve tables".  I don't know a pastor who wouldn't love that.  I don't know a pastor who gets to either. 

The element I like so much about this is that ministry can be seen both ways.  I don't think that is common in church as much as it should be.  Perhaps it is a mentality of taking from church rather than giving which influences this problem.  And I can't say that this problem is truly pervasive in every church everywhere.  But where it shows up, it's a problem.

If I can just help people, then I get a public pat on the back, and I feel good.  Sure it takes me out of a comfort zone, and gets me out of my own problems in a very real and important sense.  But if I serve others and neglect striving to understand my Master through Scripture, I end up serving others for wrong reasons.  It eventually becomes about me, I get burned out and discouraged, get judgmental toward others in the church not serving, and so on it goes.  I know that road, and I have seen the end of it.  And it's not happy.

So what is the alternative?  The alternative strives for a focus on Scripture, and service to others from out of that focus.  The leaders of the church devoted themselves to prayer and Scripture.  It had to be their focus in order to effectively lead the people as God directed.  So, my service to others must flow from the same focus.  I lead a small group on Thursday nights.  If I don't do so out of a focus on prayer and Scripture, then I am going to fail (regardless of my goals in leading a small group).

Both prayer and Bible study are needed.  I suffer in prayer to a focus on Scripture.  I need both.  So, on that note, please excuse me as I turn my attention from this, to my Master as I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment