Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Dying For More Stuff

But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property,  and kept back some of the price for himself, with his wife's full knowledge, and bringing a portion of it, he laid it at the apostles' feet.  But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land?  While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."  And as he heard these words, Ananias fell down and breathed his last; and great fear came over all who heard of it. (Acts 5:1-5 NASB)
First off, yesterday and last night went better than yesterday.  The struggles were still there, but they were shorter, and I slept a lot better.  It was still insanely busy yesterday, but I was able to get mostly caught up at work.

 Now about this passage, one typically familiar to believers, but still very odd for all that.  The setting is the newly formed church in Jerusalem, bustling with far more people than they have resources to help.  Many members, including Barnabas, sell property and bring the proceeds to be used by the apostles to meet the needs.  Enter Ananias and his wife Sapphira.  They also sell a property (literally a field), and the word used for "kept back" has the range of meaning of being deceptive or secretive about it.  The word can also mean embezzle.

But even so, the property is theirs, the proceeds are theirs, which Peter points out.  Is there a requirement that they bring the whole thing?  Is it a rule in the congregation?  This is where the previous statements about "everyone had all things in common" is shown to be a general overview rather than a particular statement about everyone without exception.  And that makes sense.  It's still the way it is today.  To answer the previous questions; no, no rule is mentioned that all must have all things in common.  The problem facing this couple was the temptation to "appear" as if they too had all things in common with everyone else.  They wanted the recognition as being one of those (like Barnabas, everyone wants to be like Barnabas) without actually being like them.

So what if Ananias and his wife kept some of the proceeds back to pay for a new dishwasher, or to do some needed repairs to the parapet around the roof, but told Peter, "This is part of the proceeds, because we are using some for household needs"?  What would have happened then?  Would the Holy Spirit informed them through Peter that it's all or nothing, and killed them anyway?  I suspect not, but truly it's an argument from silence; that's not what happened.  Whatever their purpose, they didn't want others to regard them as the ones who almost gave generously to the poor.  They wanted to appear more than they were.

But there is an important element in what they did that causes their death, and it wasn't the use they had for the money, nor was it their desire to appear other than they were (we'd all be dead if it were just that).  Peter specifically accuses Ananias of lying to the Holy Spirit.  What I gather from this accusation is that these two people really either denied the power of the Holy Spirit or the Sovereignty of the Holy Spirit.  Actually, there are several other possibilities too as I think about it.  The underlying connection to them has to be a degradation of the Spirit of God within them to the point where He has no influence.  I would well imagine fear gripping all who hear of it.  How much danger am I in if that's the case?

In a sense, this couple thought they could get away with the deception even though they had seen evidence of the Holy Spirit working around them.  They denied His power and sovereignty over them.  Either He wouldn't know what they did, or He couldn't do anything about it if He did know.  This is what endangered their lives?  How often have I, with full knowledge that the choices before me include some clearly contrary to my Master, have still chosen the rebellious thing?  How often have I told myself that no one will know?  How is that possible if the Holy Spirit knows?  What does it say about me if, knowing and claiming to believe that, I do it anyway?  I have to wonder, why am I still alive?

Whatever the reason I still draw breath when I have acted as these two have, I'm not sure I'd either understand it if I knew, or whether or not it would benefit me if I knew.  I don't know.  But I am more aware of the grace with which my Master covers me.  I often wish it were a covering much like swaddling clothes where my arms would be pinned to my sides.  That would keep me out of trouble.  But it's not like that.  I have free reign to make those rebellious decisions.  And I exercise that freedom way too often.

Now is probably a really good time for me to exercise another freedom I have and go before my Master in prayer, thanking Him for letting me live.  I can see from this passage that I haven't earned that right, and yet I draw yet another breath.  That is grace.  Now, for gratitude.  May that permeate my day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment