Friday, October 5, 2012

Don't Skip The Mistakes!

The patriarchs became jealous of Joseph and sold him into Egypt. Yet God was with him (Acts 7:9 NASB)
Stephen is faced with the powerful elite of his day.  He is accused of things that he would have trouble defending because they are false, but true enough to still get him in trouble.  So in this situation, what should he do?  Well, obviously, tell his audiences favorite story.  It's a long story, so he can't possibly include everything.  What does he make sure he includes?  He doesn't miss the mistakes of the people.

Like pot holes on your favorite road, these "mistakes" mar an otherwise uplifting story.  So why include them?  Because he is headed somewhere.  This road that looks so good and feels so right, isn't headed where his audience thinks it is.  These mistakes are what good storytellers call "foreshadowing".  They are the clues about what is coming in the story; ripples on an otherwise cool calm pool.

So why take this road faced with such power?  Because his point is the same point Jesus made.  His direction for his audience is the same direction Jesus took.  Things among the Jewish people cannot remain the same.  Their world is about to change, whether they like it or not.  Jerusalem is going to fall to utter destruction...again.  But their God wants them to choose between the way things have been going, and the new world He has for them.  He's been giving them lots of foreshadowing (prophets and events), but now has come the time for choice.

I believe Stephens words are so strong, so hot, and so deep because the choice is that important.  These "ripples" are just the little quakes before the earth quake comes.  These foreshadowing elements connect the dots all the way back to their origins.  They have always made mistakes, and God has always brought them through, weaving those mistakes into His own design. But the time for mistakes is over; they've reached the end of the thread woven through their history.  It ends with Jesus, the Messiah, the Christ, the Son of God.

Can I look back and let my Master show me how He has woven my mistakes into His design, and begun my redemption from before I was born?  Actually, will I look back?  Will I let my Master show me these things?  Or will I cover my ears and gnash my teeth?  I never really liked gnashing, I much prefer a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment