Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Real Trial of Stephen

But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God; and he said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God." (Acts 7:55-56 NASB)
Stephen stood before a council of the elders of his people, a crowd made up of those jealous of him, and sprinkled with those paid to lie about him. He is on trial. It looks grim, even from the beginning. The charges are false, yet not far enough from the truth that he going to be acquitted. And the council of elders has hated and been jealous of his fellow believers for months now. This will not end well for Stephen. Except that this is not the real court scene.
The council of leaders imagines themselves to be the judges. The throng of haters imagine themselves to be the jury. The lying witnesses imagine themselves to be the only proof either way. And they are all wrong.
It isn't until after the discourse of Stephen stripping the people and leaders of any pretext of being "godly" sons of Israel or true worshippers of God. Once the leaders and people are whipped to a burning hot fury that the true courtroom scene is revealed to Stephen, and therefore to us. Sealing his fate, he shares it with all the others in the room. Rather than hear reality, they rush him and take his life, ironically in the form of a judicial capital punishment.
Stephen is fully in tune with the Spirit of his Master, and sees the real courtroom. God is the Judge, and Jesus stands at the right hand of the Judge as Defense Attorney. God is Stephen's judge, and the Son of God is his Defense Attorney? This trial hasn't been lost, but won in a complete reversal. Stephen is shown his victory, heaven. He has acted in faith in what he hadn't seen so far, but knew in his heart. At the end, after his obedience, he sees the object of his faith revealed.
The wicked unjustly execute the righteous, and inadvertently, send him to reap his reward. Oops. Wait, no, but Stephen died, horribly crushed and battered by large stones. That's bad, isn't it? No, it just hurt for a little while.
Stephen saw the heaven opened. He saw his destination. These evil deluded ones around him were the pawns of Stephen's Master to bring him home. Stephen was bound to the feet of the One before all will bow and confess as Lord to the glory of God the Father. It was the kangaroo court, the mock trial, the flim-flam crooked job that provided his vehicle. Those who imagined themselves to be in control were in turned controlled by the One truly in control.
Now, the question for me is, can I stand, and, in faith, face the angry crowd unjustly accusing me? Will I speak the words of my Master rather than the words of my own defense? Will I seek His glory above where He stands to defend me beside His Father? Will I speak with the confidence that heaven is real, and waits for me to arrive? Do I truly believe that my destination makes all things I endure and face here mere trivia? Can I stand as Stephen stood, face the crowd he faced, and speak as he spoke?
Yes...and no. Yes, in a way, knowing the end, I can face intense adversity when challenged. But honestly, Stephen demonstrates daily faith in power before he is ever on trial. That's where I struggle and fail the most. In the daily battle to maintain my focus and determination. Where my heart is the determining factor in continuing to do what I find tiresome and pointless, that is where my faith tends to wear thin. The problem is that I have lost the "point" to a lot of what I do during the day.
I work at a job where mental flexibility and gymnastics is critical. That is also my strong point. But it is in between those times where I need that mental acuity where I struggle. In order to get to those times, I have a boatload of small repetitive tasks that have to be accomplished in a flurry of activity. Because I fail so often to connect those in importance with the things I love to do, I flag in my determination to do them. They become tiresome, and boring, and "pointless". They are not, but I begin to perceive them that way. Not at first, but rapidly, about the fifth or so task.
Stephen daily lived out the power of his faith, performed signs and wonders, not of himself, but of his Master. His life was headed for this mock trial, but he lived daily only in the light of his Master's face. What I need is that daily focus. The "tasks" are the things I do in the light of my Master's face. They may not seem like "signs and wonders", but when I am able to touch the life of someone and bring the light of my Master's face into their world, that is a sign and wonder in itself. These tasks I struggle with so much are not for my manager or company, or even for my clients. They are for my Master, the real Master I serve. They are not empty tasks, but opportunities; opportunities I have been missing way too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment