Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Difference Between Son Powered and Wind Powered Life

So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.   They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.   Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles.   And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common;  and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need.   Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart,  praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved. (Acts 2:41-47 NASB)

In Acts 2, much attention in the chapter and from believers is focused on the immediate effects of their speech and the ensuing sermon of Peter.  It seems the end of the chapter gets disconnected from the noisy event of the disciples being filled with the Holy Spirit.  I'd like to correct that problem.  I start by asking a very strange question:  Would you rather have the Son of God to follow, or the Holy Spirit to lead you?  See, I told you it was odd.

Hopefully, after some mental wrangling, the initial panic of heresy calms down and the decision is pondered as a "win-win" set of options.  I ask because of something at the end of Acts 2 that is amazing to me, especially as an American.  When I consider that 3,000 people from all over the world were added to 120 believers in Jerusalem, I have to wonder if the logistics of that was overwhelming to the initial 120.  We don't typically think about it, but 3,000 people needed jobs, places to live, food, all in Jerusalem.  Did Jerusalem's economy support such a surge in population?  The economy of Jerusalem at that time probably did not support such a surge easily.  As people left the festival to return home, the jobs actually decreased, not increased (although housing was more available).

So God has brought 3,000 souls to the church in one morning, most of them are from elsewhere and haven't lived in Jerusalem.  What do you do now?  The believers settled into an interesting pattern.  They continued in focusing on four things:  the apostles' teaching, fellowship, the breaking of bread (communion?), and prayer.  In order to meet the overwhelming needs, the people shared everything (they had all things in common).  In fact, some sold property and used the proceeds to assist in meeting these new needs. 

Where did they learn that?  What in their Scriptures told them that was the correct response to such a need?  Would you believe the laws on tithing?  In Deuteronomy 14:28-29, a use for the tithe is given that is overlooked almost universally by Jesus' followers.  I suspect that part of the teaching of the apostles included a solution based on these principles.  There are other passages that could have been used, but this one specifically addresses those among the people who did not have any land among them.  At the time those in these categories were ineligible to own land among them (at least the "alien").  So while 2/3 of the tithe went to the temple (to be used for a party by the way), the other 1/3 was used to help the needy around them.

Two reasons I don't see the response of the believers to this need as a direct effect of the noisy wind-and-fire-tongue event is that they already had "received" the Holy Spirit.  They selected their Twelfth Man before this, so the Holy Spirit was already working in them to solve issues.  It was nice to have that twelfth guy once the 3,000 showed up, that was good timing (or God-timing).  And, second, it wasn't just the 120 (i.e. the ones in the room when it happened) that were sharing.  It turns out Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, had property in the area (or maybe elsewhere) who sold it and gave the proceeds to the apostles.  They eventually nick-named him Barnabas.  I believe he was an example of the scope of the sharing. 

So what I see is a Spirit-led response to need through generosity.  It's not that they were all "gifted" with generosity, the all responded in that way.  All needs were shared, and so were all the possessions necessary to meet the needs.  In the United States, we are offended when we're told, "you didn't build that."  We take our possessions very seriously.  The fruit of our labor is ours, we worked hard for it, we did too build it!  Yet Scripture asks us, what do we have that did not come from our Master?  Sure that's not what was meant when we were told we didn't build what we have, but I have to agree that I didn't build what I have apart from my Master's provision.  So is it possible that He has provided these possessions to me so that I might have more to give to meet the needs around me?

No one has the right to ask me to give my possessions to meet needs, except my Master.  The needs around me can be met by other sources, but what about His call on me?  I can't solve the problems, meet all the needs, and make everyone happy.  But I don't think the call is to either of those things, those are the jobs of my Master.  What He wants of my is the resources He has entrusted to me so He can use them to meet those needs, solve those problems, and bring happiness to the ones in need.  I have a few loaves and some fish (I'm always happy to give up fish).  I can't solve anything.  This isn't about solving the problems, it's about the things entrusted to me by my Master being available to Him for His purposes.  Well, I think some budget adjustments may need to be made in my household.  What fun...oh wait, I'm to be a cheerful giver.  What fun!  To see what God will do is one of the most fun things there is.  I just have to hold on to that thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment