Sunday, May 20, 2012

Obtaining The Promise of God


Gen 16:2 2 So Sarai said to Abram, “Now behold, the Lord has prevented me from bearing children. Please go in to my maid; perhaps I will obtain children through her.” And Abram listened to the voice of Sarai.

In the Ancient Net East, barren women of 'rank and privilege' would have a surrogate mother bear them a child. It was a strange custom where the surrogate mother would sit in the lap of her barren mistress in the birthing chair. Not comfortable for anyone really. So what Sarai proposes is a valid 'cultural' solution.

To be fair, God had clarified the promise of descendants by saying they would come from Abram; He hadn't mentioned anything about Sarai having the child. And with her being barren, it wouldn't have been an obvious assumption for them. So Sarai and Abram have received much undeserved criticism over the years for trying to "creatively" help God; they are just seeking His will like so many do today, by trial and error.

I think I do that a bit too much sometimes. I try to seek the will of my Master by trying stuff until I find the one that works. The one that works must be His will, right? Not here. God was working to bring about Isaac, but still permitted Ishmael. That may not have been where He was leading Abram and Sarai, but He worked with that too.

So when I seek the will of God, how do I know I have the whole thing yet? God hadn't mentioned Sarai, and culturally Hagar could have born her a legitimate son. What should they have waited to see or hear to know Sarai was the chosen mother? 

Any answer to this question is speculation, regardless of who, what, where, or how makes up the answer. Scripture doesn't say, and clues are subject to various interpretations. Here's mine, they should have waited for more detail just like they had been doing. In other words they were already doing what they were supposed to do. The only reason I say that is because they hadn't been given new direction. That's not a great reason. Suppose God hadn't given further direction because they didn't need any. As long as Abram was the father the promise was being kept, right? All along God has gone from vague to less vague; details have been in short supply. They moved their entire lives on less info from God.

Sometimes staying the course already plotted is good and God's will for change will happen more than be found. But sometimes God's will has enough latitude to include enough options I can choose among several. The factor in my choosing is often what I believe diminishes me and glorifies Him. In choosing among options or waiting for more direction, the motivating drive must be His glory or I will fail. And that's not a great option.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment