Thursday, May 10, 2012

Choosing Between Two Kings

He brought back all the goods, and also brought back his relative Lot with his possessions, and also the women, and the people.  Then after his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him, the king of Sodom went out to meet him at the valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley).  And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; now he was a priest of God Most High.  He blessed him and said, "Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, Who has delivered your enemies into your hand." He gave him a tenth of all.  The king of Sodom said to Abram, "Give the people to me and take the goods for yourself."  Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have sworn to the LORD God Most High, possessor of heaven and earth, that I will not take a thread or a sandal thong or anything that is yours, for fear you would say, 'I have made Abram rich.'  I will take nothing except what the young men have eaten, and the share of the men who went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their share." (Genesis 14:16-24 NASB)


With 318 men of his own and 3 buddies, Abram defeats the wildly successful kings of the east; chases them around 30 miles after routing them.  It was a wildly successful night of battle.  He brings back all that was carried off, including his nephew, Lot.  Now, as the saying goes, it's time to party.  And, of course, to any party comes the king of Sodom, the royal party-animal!


But also coming out is the mysterious king of Salem (Jerusalem), Melchizedek.  He is "priest of God Most High", or El-Elyon, a Canaanite reference to the chief god of their pantheon (Baal's dad or chief or whatever).  Salem wasn't even involved in this encounter, nor was it all that close to the "Oaks of Mamre" where Abram came from.  Why does he show up?  And who is this guy?


If character is demonstrated by action, then Melchizedek demonstrates character which connects him to God.  He brings bread and wine (a good move when coming to any party), and blesses Abram and El-Elyon.  His prayer connects Abram to El-Elyon and credits El-Elyon with the victory over the kings.  Abram responds by giving Melchizedek a tithe, a sign of submission.  Again, who is this guy?

Melchizedek's name is made up of the Hebrew word for king (Melchi) and righteous (zedek).  Later on, David takes the city of Jerusalem and suddenly there is this priest, Zadok working for him who eventually takes over the high-priesthood (a Canaanite priest?).  So, David is "melchi" and Zadok is the priest.  By the time that David takes the city of Jerusalem, the role of king and priest seems to be broken up between separate people.  Yet the worship of El-Elyon is still acknowledged, and the priest kept.  Interesting, isn't it?


So Abram responds positively to the priest-king of Salem.  His response to the king of Sodom is less so.  In fact, his response is rather insulting, even as it returns all the plunder to him.  The king of Sodom wants the people, but gives all the rest to Abram and his buddies.  Abram says a very interesting thing.  He says that he has sworn to Yahweh, El-Elyon, that he would take nothing from the king of Sodom.  That way it couldn't be said that the king of Sodom made Abram rich.  Wow, in your face Sodomite king!  If he doesn't like him, why come back with all the plunder, why not just his nephew and his stuff?


In the celebration of his victory, Abram differentiates between the guests in ways that were insulting in his culture and would be in ours as well.  Am I too "nice" or rather fearful of what others would think to be so insulting?  Would I stand up for my faith, and risk "ruining the mood"?  Would I refuse a gift that really I had worked and risked for just because it represented a person and lifestyle I believe is in rebellion against my Master?  Abram didn't just say no, he said no because.  He clearly distinguishes between the two kings.  Do I have the courage to do that; to do that when it would make such a publicly poignant and unpopular point?


I'm not in this position at the moment, and I can't remember when I have been.  It's not that I haven't been given success, it's the whole choosing between two kings thing that I haven't been given, at least not like this.  Every day I have to choose which king I will follow, the king of my appetites or the King of Righteousness.  I wish I could say I always choose the Righteous King, but I can't.  In the public setting, in the midst of the party, I want to make the public differentiation; to choose to give my tithe to one king, and refuse the gifts of the other.  I want the wisdom to see the difference, and the courage to admit it publicly.  I don't know when, or even if, it will ever happen.  But I want to honor my Master when/if it does.



No comments:

Post a Comment