Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Why You, Son-of-an-Amalekite!

The young man who told him said, "By chance I happened to be on Mount Gilboa, and behold, Saul was leaning on his spear. And behold, the chariots and the horsemen pursued him closely.  When he looked behind him, he saw me and called to me. And I said, 'Here I am. '  He said to me, 'Who are you? ' And I answered him, ' I am an Amalekite. '  Then he said to me, 'Please stand beside me and kill me, for agony has seized me because my life still lingers in me. '  So I stood beside him and killed him, because I knew that he could not live after he had fallen. And I took the crown which was on his head and the bracelet which was on his arm, and I have brought them here to my lord." (2 Samuel 1:6-10 NASB)

David said to the young man who told him, "Where are you from?" And he answered, " I am the son of an alien, an Amalekite." (2 Samuel 1: 13 NASB)
The setting put forth right in the first verse is that David has returned from the  'slaughter of the Amalekites', and been in his city for 2 days.  To recap, the Amalekites had razed Ziklag on a raid into Southern Judah while David was marshalling with the Philistines to go fight Israel.  He returned home to ashes.  He then spent a night and all the next day attacking those who had burned his city.  As it turns out, the reason he had this problem with the Amalekites was because Saul failed to do his job by killing their king, Agag.  Samuel killed the king, but many of the people and stuff had escaped.  Saul settled for less than complete obedience, and this contributed to his rejection by God.  The Amalekites form this social/ethnic backdrop to Saul's rejection (and eventual death) and David's election by God.

So, David returns from slaughtering Amalekite raiders only to find one a few days later telling him that he had killed Saul.  It's not a good day to be an Amalekite anywhere near David right now.  So, why is this?  What is it about the Amalekites that makes them the enemies of God, and ones He wants to destroy from the earth?  Okay, here's the condensed version:

Amalek is the grandson of Esau and his people are nomads in the region between Canaan and Egypt (Genesis 36:12, 16).  As the people of Israel venture out into the desert, the people of Amalek attack them, and are defeated by Joshua while Moses' arms are held by Aaron and Hur (Exodus 17).  As a result, God promises to 'utterly blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven' (Exodus 17 and Deuteronomy 25:17-19).  Amalek remains a problem through time of the Judges (Judges 3 and 5), and finally, with Samuel, God commands Saul to fulfill God's curse on Amalek (1 Samuel 15) which he fails to do.  Now, the Amalekites continue to be a problem for David.

It seems that, from God's perspective, Amalek continues a form of apathetic rejection of God begun in Esau.  It's not that they are particularly evil, any more than anyone else is evil.  It's not that they raid more, worship more idols, or practice some other behavior that makes them stand out, with one exception:  They consistently attack the people God has chosen.  Others do this occasionally.  For some it varies with who happens to be king.  Edom (Esau) go in and out of favor.  Moab goes in and out of favor, even Egypt garners praise or favorable treatment from God at times.  But not Amalek.  Ishmaelites, yes.  Amalekites, no.

So, what's the point here?  Where's the point of application for me? I think one point that I need to accept is that some people have actually been rejected by God.  Whether because He knows they will never repent or because they have entered into that unforgivable state of calling the things of God the things of Satan, I don't know.  I just see that God rejects people.  I think perhaps the grace of God is demonstrated in that He doesn't reject everyone.

In fact, as I read Scripture, it looks like He truly rejects only a very select few.  Besides the Amalekites, the only people of whom I remember God requiring the complete destruction is the Canaanites.  It's instructive to me that in both cases this sentence/command wasn't carried out.  And the people of God suffered in both cases.  God rejects, and asks that His people think as He does, and address people as He does, and treat people as He does.  So, as rare as rejection is, when God makes it clear that He rejects someone, so should I.  They may be popular, it may not 'feel right', and it may not be easy to explain, but it becomes a matter of obedience.

Fortunately, in my community, I don't know of any particular rejected people group.  For that I'm very thankful, but that doesn't mean there aren't some here.  My fear is that I will know what to do when I meet them, but not have the courage to be obedient.  On the other hand, I can't avoid putting myself into the community to avoid meeting such people.  And this category of people whom my Master rejects aren't those who irritate me, I don't like, or who seem senseless and rude to me.  It's never my estimation or my ability to evaluate people, but always my Master's.  And since I'm commanded to love my enemies, it's not that my Master calls me to 'hate' them, but rather to join His perspective of rejection.  I'm not even sure what that would look like.

So, I'm sure I don't know what I would have to do with people I don't know whom my Master may have rejected for reasons I can't see.  Right.  And with that, I say, 'Good day to you'.

No comments:

Post a Comment