Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Happy New Year

Now when Ish-bosheth, Saul's son, heard that Abner had died in Hebron, he lost courage, and all Israel was disturbed. (2 Samuel 4:1 NASB)
From the previous chapter (2 Samuel 3:6-11) it's clear that Ish-Bosheth feared Abner, and that Abner was about to give the kingdom over to David.  So when Abner dies, why fear?  This brings up a question for me that I've never been able to satisfactorily been able to answer.  Why was Abner so important to these people?

When I look at Scripture and how he is depicted, much is left to the imagination.  But perhaps my imagination fills in the blanks wrong.  I have assumed that Abner was more loyal to himself than to Saul.  He wasn't where Saul dies, and escapes along with many of the army he leads.  When they face David, he's running away.  He seems more interested in saving himself than anything.

Yet, from another perspective, he also calls a halt to the hostilities when he finally gains the advantage. He is able to speak even to the tribe of Benjamin to get them to follow David (which means they would give up prestige).  And Abner is mourned by David in a very thorough manner, he even curses Joab and his family.  Something is wrong with my estimation.

So if Abner is all that, what other explanation is there for his behavior?  It could be that Abner is more loyal to Israel than he is to anyone else (and that would include God).  The reason I say that is that it may explain why he leaves Saul to die; perhaps he was against the battle in the first place (although it doesn't say that).  It would explain why everyone seems to love him so much; they sense that he is very caring for them, has their best interests at heart.

But he does seem to be at odds with what he knows God wants to do.  He says to Ish-Bosheth that he will accomplish for David what God promised.  Why would he say that if he didn't know God had promised it?  And if he did know, what was he doing setting up Ish-Bosheth?  What about what he was doing was so good for Israel if it was contrary to what God was doing?  I don't get him.

But the reaction of the people, including Ish-Bosheth, to Abner's death is fear and troubling.  Did they fear that David would have no one to stop him from taking over by force?  Did they fear that the Philistines would finally come and finish them off?  Did they fear that losing the one guy holding them together would cause them to fall apart?  I don't know.  Perhaps the best answer that fits the facts is that, from the perspective of the people, Abner was their savior.  Maybe they thought God had punished them and they now needed Abner, a caring leader, in God's place; at least for now. Again, I don't know.

But in the dire circumstance of the people of Israel, they relied on Abner, not so much Ish-Bosheth.  In fact, his presence 'on the throne' so to speak was probably more of a nuisance than a boon; at least in their eyes.  He prevented the people from whole-heartedly following David.  So, his death should be a good thing, except for the fact that Abner had set him up.

The actions of the brothers in killing Ish-Bosheth also seems to support the theory that the soldiers were loyal to Abner more so than Ish-Bosheth, and like Abner, to Israel.  It's hard to say though.  They are quick to run to David, the one under who's protection Abner was killed.  On the other hand, David demonstrated that he had nothing to do with Abner's death.  It's a dilemma. I don't really get how Abner is so important, yet so obviously acting contrary to God.

So, what if God's selection of David only came out after Ish-Bosheth was on the throne?  What if only then did Abner realize that David was the one God chose to lead Israel?  Then he's in a dilemma because he has a sense of loyalty to this guy he put on the throne.  And this would explain why he answers Ish-Bosheth as he does when accused.  He says he has shown kindness to Saul, his family and his friends.  Were these the people to whom Abner was acting loyal when he placed Ish-Bosheth on the throne?  And after realizing that God had selected David after all, he was stuck with his deed and loyalty to his family.  Again, I don't really know.

I think that the explanation that fits the facts best is to consider Abner a quality guy who is popular because he tries to do what's right for the people of Israel.  They see that, sense that, and trust him because of it.  When he realizes that he's gone in the wrong direction, he tries to correct it when given opportunity.  In other words, he's trying to do the right thing with he best information he has.  I suspect the people of Israel could sense that, and that's why they followed him.

My take away from that is that he forms a pattern I think I should follow.  If David, a man after God's own heart, thought so highly of Abner, shouldn't I?  Sure I may be jealous because he also seems like those popular jocks from high school, but he's also a person trying to do what's right.  Aren't we all? Isn't that what I'm doing?  It should be.  I should be trying to do the right to the best of my knowledge.  What I know my God wants, I should do.  And when I don't know for sure, I should do my best to please him.  All Abner knew was that David had gone over to the Philistines.  He may not have known that David wasn't at the battle fighting against his own people.  He did what he thought was best to the best of his knowledge.

And for those of you that would criticize him for not inquiring of God, keep in mind, priests are in short supply since Saul wiped out the Priests of Nob.  David has the last of the 'high priestly family' in his camp (Abiathar).  So, inquiring of God isn't easy, especially when priests aren't likely to trust Saul's family.  I think Abner may have been doing his best with the limited knowledge he had.  And I think that my call is to do the same.  I can't become paralyzed by a lack of knowledge.  I have to fall back on the last instructions my Master gave me, and keep on moving forward.  So, my marching orders for today?  Keep moving forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment