Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Royal 'Signia'

So I stood beside him and killed him, because I knew that he could not live after he had fallen. And I took the crown which was on his head and the bracelet which was on his arm, and I have brought them here to my lord." (2 Samuel 1:10 NASB)

It came about on the next day when the Philistines came to strip the slain, that they found Saul and his three sons fallen on Mount Gilboa. (1 Samuel 31:8 NASB)
 It is widely assumed that the story of the Amalekite which resulted in his execution by David was a lie.  One element of his story which was true was that he had Saul's crown and arm band.  This makes sense in a way, because it seems that the Philistines missed Saul's body on the day of the battle, and only found it the next day during 'clean up'.  A crown and shiny arm band would have been a 'dead giveaway' that this particular body was different (pun intended).  I think that they were missing was an important factor in Saul's body not being discovered right away.

Battle in those days was chaotic, often undisciplined, and brutal.  It can be assumed that it left a mess.  Among the mess, blood, dirt, and so on, bodies would be difficult to identify.  It says that the archers found him and wounded him, but that he died on his own sword.  Saul's assumption was that if the Philistines found him in that wounded fashion they would have captured him or tortured him (whatever 'sport' meant).  Whatever it meant, Saul was sure he would be found that day, not the next.

So, what the Amalekite actually did was to take those items (crown and arm band) from Saul's body after he had killed himself.  Amidst the chaos of a battle gone very wrong, it's not possible to know what he was doing there, how he got out of there, nor even what side he was on.  Since he wasn't an Israelite nor a Philistine, he could have been on either side, or both when he saw how the battle went.  But when he found the crown and arm band, he formed a plan; a stupid and ill-conceived plan, but a plan.  He would further his own position by going to David with the story that he had taken the life of David's enemy and brought the 'symbols' of the monarchy to him.  Yes, he, an Amalekite, had given the kingdom to David...or so he thought.

It seems that not only was David not all that interested in the crown and arm band, but neither was Saul's family.  No one ever mentions it.  This guy takes these 'baubles' from a dead king, thinking that they are what makes or marks a king.  But really, no one seems to care.  David cares that he says he killed Saul.  But not about the crown and arm band.  In fact, it's not that this guy took these things from a dead king (which is the true part of his story), but that he claimed to not be afraid to destroy the Lord's anointed.  This Amalekite totally missed the point.  He was so focused on the shiny things marking Saul as king, that he missed the more important element of his anointing, his position of being chosen by God.

So the application for me is to avoid the distraction of the 'trappings' of position, and focus on (or at least be mindful of) the choice of my Master with regard to a position.  I am what I am because of the choice of my Master, and it's not the money I make at my job, the house I live in, not the car I drive, nor my wife or daughter, nor is it the clothes I wear that mark me as what I am before my Master.  Jesus said,

Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat? ' or 'What will we drink? ' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'  For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. (Matthew 6:31, 32 NASB)
In the same way, knowing who I am before my Master doesn't follow the social or cultural definitions.  Rather, my Master sets His own definitions.  He has His own priorities in His choice and use of me.  And these purposes and priorities are distinct from my life situation.  It's not hard to see that life situations change, but my Master's work, priorities, and purposes do not.  I am who I am before Him regardless of what I wear, where I live, or what I eat.  If I'm reduced to a can of beans eaten in a cardboard box in a back alley, I'm still one chosen by my Master to fulfill a purpose He has designed.

Having said that, I'm not at all sure my attitude would be the best in such circumstances.  I'm not confident that the memory of better food, a better home, or better clothes would taint my ability to be about my Father's business when my 'business office' is a box, my 'business attire' are rags, my 'business lunch' is a can of beans, and my 'business location' is a back alley.  It's easy to say I am what I am before my Master when I'm warm, well-fed, and healthy. 

But even so, what will I do today? I am what I am even here, so will I live out what I am before my Master today?  Or will I let the 'wind and waves' of my job or family strife, or even inconveniences distract me from the purposes and priorities of my Master?  What I really need is some time of worship...

No comments:

Post a Comment