Saturday, September 14, 2013

Where Did You Say You Were From?

1 Samuel 16:14 Now the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord terrorized him. 15 Saul’s servants then said to him, “Behold now, an evil spirit from God is terrorizing you. 16 Let our lord now command your servants who are before you. Let them seek a man who is a skillful player on the harp; and it shall come about when the evil spirit from God is on you, that he shall play the harp with his hand, and you will be well.” 17 So Saul said to his servants, “Provide for me now a man who can play well and bring him to me.” (NASBStr)

One of the most problematic statements in all of Scripture for Biblical Theologians is 1 Samuel 16:14.  The statement that the 'Good Lord' sent an 'evil spirit' is a square theological peg in a round hole of God's character. At least it looks that way.

Here's what we know:
  • The verse actually says this; there's no other way to translate it.
  • In following verses uses, 'evil spirit from God' rather than 'from the LORD'; in other words, God's name is used initially, then references to Him.
  • The servants know what has happened and what to do about it; a very specific solution, rather than a general search for any solution.
  • Saul agrees with the solution, indicating either personal familiarity with the problem, or trust of those who serve him.
  • This is the only known record of such a thing done by God.
There's much that can be deduced from this; it's more common in their culture than in the Scripture the record, music was found to help people God afflicts this way, and no one seems to think it is out of character for God. There's more that suggested, and then opinion and theory take over.  

Here's my theory: Everything comes from my Master, and I can trust that what He does does not contradict what says about Himself. I believe the problem lies with my lack of understanding, not His character.
So, my Master can send an evil spirit to torment someone, and He is still Love, sending His Son into the world to save all the ones believing in Him. 

That means that evil also comes from my Master.  That isn't easy to swallow or accept, that the All-Loving God of the Christian Scriptures would cause evil.  Consider this, the enemy, Satan, is a created being.  This creature is not on par with the Almighty, does not possess His power or knowledge, and is not the 'balance' for the 'goodness' of the True Creator of the universe.  So our enemy, this creature, is not 'deity' of any sort, but rather a rebel against Deity.

Just so we're clear, all things come from God.  So, how do I, a servant of the King, knight of the Realm, reconcile good and evil both being from my King?  By recognizing that while my King is not subjective, my understanding of Him can only obtain a subjective level.  In other words, I only know what He reveals to me of Himself, which includes the tidbit that there's more about Him I don't know.  In fact, when Isaiah 55:8&9 are unpacked in light of modern astronomy, then really, my Master is as far from my understanding as the width and breadth of the universe; not our galaxy, but the whole universe.  And so you know, by the way, the dimensions of the universe are unknowable from our perspective on earth.

Still, both good and evil coming from a Loving God?  Yes.  Again, as I've pointed out before, when evil and good are defined in the way the terms are used in Scripture, they aren't necessarily moral assessments.  They are wider umbrella terms for things generally affecting the writer/editor, the audience reading/hearing, or the objects being acted upon in the account recorded.  Let that sink in a moment, perhaps you should re-read it a few times.  

What I mean by that is sometimes the things we don't like are morally contrary to God's will, plans, and commands.  But sometimes what we think are bad things are merely inconvenient, we don't like them; and sometimes they are catastrophically detrimental to us, people die.  Scripture calls these things evil regardless; we don't like them, they're evil.  That should help clear up how both things can come from the same God, but not for everyone.

So the 'evil spirit from God' was His punishment on Saul.  It was 'evil' from Saul's perspective, and those around him could see that Saul wasn't enjoying it.  They didn't see what it was tormenting their king, so it had to be a 'spirit'.  That it was from God was a given since there could be no other source for such things in their minds. It is this last part where I believe I and others have deviated into error.

Like many I have ascribed to my enemy more power than he really has.  If all things come from my Master, then all my enemy can do is use what has already been created, and what he already has at his disposal.  He can't make something to torment me.  He can't 'send' something that isn't already his.  This creature desiring my separation from my Master is stronger than I am, but nothing compared to my Master.  My enemy only makes me more dependent upon my Master, he can't hurt me truly. 

So, in response to all things coming from my Master, I will praise Him all the more.  I will proclaim His power and majesty louder and with more fervor.  I will seek to honor Him even more, and I will tremble before Him.  I will wait on Him, worship Him, and walk before Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment