Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I Come In Peace...Why Do You Ask?

So Samuel did what the LORD said, and came to Bethlehem. And the elders of the city came trembling to meet him and said, "Do you come in peace?"  He said, "In peace; I have come to sacrifice to the LORD. Consecrate yourselves and come with me to the sacrifice." He also consecrated Jesse and his sons and invited them to the sacrifice. (1 Samuel 16:4-5 NASB)
Samuel has been sent to Bethlehem by God to anoint one of Jesse's sons to be king after Saul (or in place of...).  He is scared of Saul's revenge or attempt to prevent another king, so he obscures what he is doing by taking a cow to sacrifice in Bethlehem.  But as he arrives, the elders meet him with a strange greeting.

In the Hebrew text, they tremble as they meet him.  In the somewhat older Greek text of the Hebrew Scriptures (also known as the Septuagint), they are out-of-their-mind amazed at him being there.  In both, they ask if he has come in peace.  Whether amazed or trembling with fear, why would he not come in peace?  Why would they need to ask?

I wonder how much of the story of Samuel is missing?  He judged Israel for many years, but only a few things he did are included in this account, and none are included in Chronicles, and there are few references in other parts of Scripture.  But consider the character we do find.
  • Hears from God and his words do not 'fall to the ground.'
  • 'Directs' the people against the Philistines and they stay out of Israel during his time of judging
  • Thinks the choosing of a king by the people is a rejection of him as judge
  •  Helps Saul and the nation through the coronation process even though he personally disagrees with their decision - he does so at God's command.
  • He publicly corrects Saul each time he makes a mistake
  • He tells Saul to his face that God has rejected him as king and will give the kingdom to another
  • Completes God's command to Saul by hacking Agag, king of the Amalekites, to pieces before God and the people (public correction of Saul and the people).
  • Seems afraid that Saul will kill him if he goes to anoint someone else
So where is the support for the elders being afraid or astonished?  For one thing, the route Samuel takes in 'judging' never went this far south from Ramah.  So his being there would mean something very different was going on.  Secondly, the people of Judah have supported Saul and fight in his army, so they were also involved in disobeying God's commands against the Amalekites.  And possibly, there are some things Samuel has done as judge that involved the destruction or punishment of cities or towns for which we don't have a record.  After seeing him hack some foreign king to pieces, it doesn't take a vivid imagination to believe 'evil' comes with this prophet.

While I do view Samuel as the 'nerd' leader of his people.  I think it's a big mistake to consider him 'wimpy'.  He faces Saul, but fears to 'conspire' against him.  That alone doesn't make him a coward.  I think it takes great courage to face a king clearly obtuse enough to believe he's obeyed God when he obviously hasn't.  Such people wouldn't know God's will if it bit them in the butt, and may do horrible things thinking they are doing them for God.  They're dangerous.  To face someone like that, in the midst of that mindset, and tell them, convince them, they are wrong takes great courage.  To demonstrate the error to the people takes even more, and to then just walk away...Yeah, Samuel doesn't strike me as the timid sort.

I can easily make the intuitive link between Samuel showing up unexpected in Bethlehem, and the elders wondering if he comes in peace.  Samuel is one who leaves a big footprint behind, whether he wants to or not.  It isn't hard for me to imagine that he is considered the '800lb Gorilla' by many, even though Saul is king.  Things happen around Samuel that are of God, the Maker and Sustainer of the universe.  He can be very scary at times.

But what's the lesson?  Where is what I can take away here?  Well, for one thing, respect for the leaders my Master has placed in my life; especially the religious ones (i.e. church leadership).  God may not destroy cities and peoples around my pastor; some of my pastor's words may fall to the ground; I may not really like my pastor's views on some theological topics; but he is the pastor my Master has placed in my life.

This is true for the other ministers, children, youth, small-groups, associates, assistants, whatever they may be called.  They are ones my Master has placed in my life, and I should treat them as such.  When was the last time I met my pastor and asked if he came in peace?  When is the last time his arrival made me nervous?  When I look at my pastor, do I see my Pastor standing with him?  I wonder what would be different with pastors in our churches if we saw them and kept in mind that our Pastor stands with them (hopefully the other way around).  If I think of them together, my Master and my pastors, my treatment of my church leaders might be different.  At least, it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment