Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Strange Negotiations

Gen 21:28-32 28 Then Abraham set seven ewe lambs of the flock by themselves. 29 Abimelech said to Abraham, “What do these seven ewe lambs mean, which you have set by themselves?” 30 He said, “You shall take these seven ewe lambs from my hand so that it may be a witness to me, that I dug this well.” 31 Therefore he called that place Beersheba, because there the two of them took an oath. 32 So they made a covenant at Beersheba; and Abimelech and Phicol, the commander of his army, arose and returned to the land of the Philistines. http://olivetree.com/b/Gen.21.28.NASB

After sending away his first-born and the mother, Abraham has another visitor. The king he deceived earlier, the who seemed to already know God, stops by, but with his battle chief (prince of armies).  He acknowledges that God is with Abraham, and wants a covenant of "honesty" with him.  Considering the previous chapter, and how God seems to back Abraham, even in deceit, I totally get that.

So, Abraham agrees, but then takes the opportunity of the King's visit to bring up something else, a dispute over a well.  Literally, it says Abraham "rebukes" or "corrects" the king standing there with his battle chief. Brave. Stupid, but brave. On the other hand Abraham has 300+ of his household who already took on the kings of the east, so he is probably safe.

The response of the king is denial of any knowledge or participation in the dispute. In fact, he pushes the issue back on Abraham saying that this is the first he's heard of it. Why didn't Abraham bring this to his attention earlier? I wonder if the battle chief knew more of the issue than the king, and if it was his.presence with the king that occasioned the discussion at this time.

Rather than argue the point, Abraham finishes his covenant proceedings with the king by giving him tribute. But he also sets apart 7 lambs by themselves. This is the tribute #2 for another "ad hoc" covenant. When Abimelech asks, Abraham tells him these are the surety that Abraham has dug the well. In essence, if the king takes them, he agrees that the well is Abraham's by right of having dug it.

In a sense Abraham purchases a well he dug himself. Or did he? I suppose since he doesn't move around that much, it makes a certain amount of sense that he would dig a well. He'd have a place to return to if he did leave, like the altars he makes. Either way, he is willing to buy the well in a covenant with the king.

Considering the integrity and character of the king in the last chapter, I tend to believe him about the well. It's the presence of his general that makes wonder if political winds are changing and power is beginning to shift to the army. That happened a lot in those days. So, while the king didn't know about the well, there's a good chance the general did. The covenant, in a sense, puts the power back onto to the king. So Abraham may have just bought security.

Any way it's looked at, Abraham negotiated a well out of the deal. If nothing else, his household and herds are secure. On the edge of a desrt wilderness, that's a big deal. That is where my point of application lies. Am I willing to take the one-down position, swallow my pride, and buy what's already mine? As I read Scripture I see my Master did this very thing to save me and very other human creature. I think it's safe to say that God does call me to live at peace with anyone, and I have to admit that my pride sometimes makes that difficult. Here I see one powerful man willing to negotiate a price to resolve a dispute over something he already has rights to. Am I willing to follow Abraham, and my Master, in this path of minimal resistance? Hmm. I wonder if crow is tasty when eaten with garlic?

No comments:

Post a Comment