Tuesday, July 24, 2012

So Much Detail, So Little Land

"My lord, listen to me; a piece of land worth four hundred shekels of silver, what is that between me and you? So bury your dead."  Abraham listened to Ephron; and Abraham weighed out for Ephron the silver which he had named in the hearing of the sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, commercial standard.  So Ephron's field, which was in Machpelah, which faced Mamre, the field and cave which was in it, and all the trees which were in the field, that were within all the confines of its border, were deeded over to Abraham for a possession in the presence of the sons of Heth, before all who went in at the gate of his city. (Genesis 23:15-18 NASB)

Abraham has servants and animals, all of which he bought, but we are never given the details of the transaction.  When Abraham intercedes for Sodom there is about as much detail as here.  Yet in other places where interaction with the people of the land had to happen, we're not.  Mamre and his two brothers had to be notified that Abraham was taking 318 from his household to track down the Four Kings of the East, we're not told how or what was said.  So why such detail now?

This chapter represents one of those passages that puts most faithful followers of Jesus asleep.  It's repetitive, monotonous, but mostly, it's viewed as pointless.  The question, "so what" just seems unanswered.  The part that bothers me is that my Master made sure this piece made it into the story, and that it remained, preserved for thousands of years.  The question for me is not "so what", but "why this piece?"  I'm not concerned with the point of the author or editor, but the point of my Master.

I do have an opinion, untested (I'm not sure how I would test it really) so just an opinion.  I think this passage may represent, in a tangible form, the beginning of the fulfillment of the promise of God to Abraham.  This represents the first of the land to be possessed by Abraham (and therefore, his descendants).  It's not much, just a field with a cave, and the surrounding trees (shade for the tents?).  Yet it represents for God's chosen people a deposit on what is to come. 

So, what point does my opinion have for me now, some four thousand years later?  It can still be asked, "so what", so...what?  Well, the lesson I take away from this passage's inclusion in the story is that God will sometime accommodate our desire to see what He has promised for later.  I don't think this encouragement is necessarily for Abraham except perhaps upon reflection later.  I think that this encouragement if for those who read this later.  As Israel's history plays out for the next few millennia, this passage will stand as an example of their true Lord and Master making good on the promise of land, their land, to His chosen ones.

For me, I see that my Master will sometimes accommodate my desire to see something of what He has in mind or has promised.  Right now, in this place, there are elements of His people assembled by Him for something.  I don't know what that "something" is at this point, but He has something in His mind.  I would love to have a glimpse of what that will be.  I would love to catch a vision for what He has in the works.  But at this point, He has seen fit to give that glimpse to others.  That's fine, because through them, I gain some sort of glimpse as over the shoulders of someone else or through their account of it.  I perceive a need for something for the young people of this place.  Perhaps that is what He's up to.  The glimpse hasn't become that clear to me yet.  Maybe I need the lens of a few more of His people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment