Thursday, July 5, 2012

Genesis 20: Leadership Demonstrated

Now Abimelech had not come near her; and he said, "Lord, will You slay a nation, even though blameless?  Did he not himself say to me, 'She is my sister'? And she herself said, 'He is my brother.' In the integrity of my heart and the innocence of my hands I have done this."  Then God said to him in the dream, "Yes, I know that in the integrity of your heart you have done this, and I also kept you from sinning against Me; therefore I did not let you touch her." (Genesis 20:4-6 NASB)

One of the strange ironies of Scripture is how it provides examples of concepts.  For instance, in this chapter, Abraham says he feared that there was no fear of God in this country, Gerar.  What turns out to be the case is that Abimelech is not only a God-fearer, but an extraordinary leader.  Notice his response to God is on behalf of his nation, not himself.  "Lord, will You slay a nation, even though blameless?"  His appeal is for them and he qualifies them as blameless, or even righteous.

Secondly, he claims "integrity of heart" for himself, and God agrees.  This king, assumed to be pagan, is not only a God-fearer but one with God-confirmed integrity.  Two things found unexpectedly in this small city-state on the edge of the wastes of the Negev.

Already, in the life of Abraham, a priest-king, Melchizedek is found unexpectedly in the city of Salem.  Now a righteous king and people is found in Gerar.  The example of this leader is as tremendous as it is unexpected.

One more example of his leadership is found in verse 8, where he calls the household together to share the dream he just had.  Again, odd, but not as unexpected as their being there in the first place.

But notice something that Gerar shares with Salem in the Hebrew Scriptures.  While in the time of Abraham, these may be examples of righteousness among pagans, by the time of the Exodus and ensuing invasion these examples are no longer righteous.

What I mean to gain from that is the importance the leader has on the righteousness of the people.  While a righteous leader does not guarantee the righteousness of the people, the influence is unmistakable.  This truth is seen throughout the history of Israel and Judah.

So, in my life, my family, and my church, the importance of righteous leadership is just as unmistakable.  While there is again, no guarantee, the influence is unmistakable.  And the need is unmistakable; in my life, my family, and in my church.  I have roles in each, and I have a clear call to lead with integrity of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment