Monday, February 4, 2013

Some From Among The Scoffers

Now when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some began to sneer, but others said, "We shall hear you again concerning this."  So Paul went out of their midst.  But some men joined him and believed, among whom also were Dionysius the Areopagite and a woman named Damaris and others with them. (Acts 17:32-34 NASB)
It may seem odd, but the word, "others" doesn't appear in the Greek text of verse 32.   It can be understood as "supplied' from a grammatical particle which has some flexibility of meaning, but it's not overtly stated.  It does lend some sense to the verse to put it in there, but I wonder about leaving it out.  With it out, this group sounds like churches of which I've been a part; including the "some men joined him and believed" part.

In several churches I've been a part of, it isn't "polite" to be honest, but neither is it in our best interest to reveal character flaws.  I can sneer in private, but publicly applaud.  I can nod my head in agreement, but in a whisper to the wife cut down the preacher.  I can, I have, I don't any more because I learned that lesson in a harsh manner.  Yet, it seems only in the context of church. 

Now, on the outside of vocational ministry, I have no problem conducting myself this way in business meetings, or with customers.  In fact, I consider it a big part of my job to be polite to customers, even difficult ones, while I'm on the phone.  That part is good.  The part that is not good is cutting them down after I hang up.  Or ripping the executive or management behind their back after they've made a decision with which I don't agree (I work in a democracy, right?).

The problem for me in this activity is that it erodes my credibility without my being aware.  Not that I have to be all about "credibility" but this characteristic stems from authentic living of my faith.  I gain credibility when I am authentic with what I believe, when my faith in Jesus has a pronounced effect on my attitude towards others, even those I can't see or don't believe will ever find out about me. 

The reality I deny when I behave that way is that my True Master knows, even when my earthly masters do not.  And, my Master has designed this world so that, even if they do not know what evil I do, the effects of that evil I do spread, and infect other relationships.  I will not escape consequences of my evil simply because "no one knows."  I know, and it effects me.

Yet, on the flip side, when Paul goes out from their midst, some follow, and some are prominent "Areopagite" sorts.  Paul is true to his belief that all men need reconciliation to their Maker, and sees success in his pursuit of that reconciliation.  He didn't focus on possible polite deception, or his detractors.  He was joined, and he focused on those who responded to his good news. 

I can focus on the things with which I don't agree, but there's enough with which I do agree to keep me busy without complaining.  It's a choice.  Being polite does not "require" dishonesty, and I can chose to be both polite and honest with both customers and co-workers (including the management chain).  I can choose.  The question is will I?

No comments:

Post a Comment