Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Paul Didn't Do It (Or So He Says)

"And now, behold, I know that all of you, among whom I went about preaching the kingdom, will no longer see my face.  Therefore, I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all men.  For I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole purpose of God. (Acts 20:25-27 NASB)

"I have coveted no one's silver or gold or clothes.  You yourselves know that these hands ministered to my own needs and to the men who were with me.  In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" (Acts 20:33-35 NASB)
Claiming innocence never really worked for me growing up.  I wasn't an only child, but my younger brother was my closest sibling, and usually whatever one started, we both wound up in.  But when it comes to two guilty parties, it's useless for one to protest, "well he started it!"  Ironically, what I was told was to just ignore him.  Which is great advice as long as while the guy's being ignored, someone intervenes along the way to make him stop.  See, parents, if there's really nothing else to do, the whole "ignoring" thing requires adult intervention to really work, I'm just saying for the sake of those kids out there who tried to say that but without credibility with their parents.

I never thought I'd read Paul saying, "I didn't do it!" and yet here it is.  Of course, context is everything in understanding why he says it, but the greater context still makes it interesting.  First off he begins by defending his service among the Ephesians, right off the bat.  I thought that was interesting, but he's done that in his letters to various churches. 

What really caught my attention, though, was in verse 25 where he claims to be innocent of the blood of all men.  Why would he say that?  Was he even thought of being accused of murder?  Was there a question?  Context tells me what he means, but it makes his claim from odd to extraordinary.  It relates back to his initial defense of his ministry among them.  What he is saying is that he has been so thorough with his preaching that no one can say, "well, Paul never told me that, he denied me salvation!"  Get this, Paul says no one can claim that.  Just let that roll around in your synapses for a bit.  No one?

Just so you know, I can't claim that.  I have never been accused of this sort of thoroughness, nor have I ever claimed such for myself, nor would I.  What would my life be like if I could?  What would be different?  What would I be doing vocationally?  What would my family be like?  I just don't know.  It wouldn't guarantee that I'd be a better person.  It's not the work that indicates that.  I could tell everyone about the good news of Jesus, and still be a jerk.  Still, it's quite a claim, and one to which I wonder about aspiring.

The second "I didn't do it" claim of Paul has to do with money.  He says he has never coveted the silver, gold, or clothes of others.  This would be easier for me to claim.  Probably not for the same reasons though.  Perhaps in my youth I did covet the clothes or money of others.  My younger years were kind of difficult that way because my family went through some financial difficulties.  Anyone who has worn Tough-Skin Jeans knows they have coveted the clothes of others.  But I also learned to value things differently because of those years, so that as an adult I really don't covet.  I still see things I would like, but I don't envy others or want what they have.  It doesn't drive or motivate me like it does for others (although, there is this telescope mount I have my eye on...)

But Paul has a point in saying that he hasn't coveted.  What he is doing is urging the elders to follow his model of serving with his own hands so to be able to give to others.  He didn't covet, he worked for what he needed.  He quotes Jesus as saying, "it is more blessed to give than to receive" although he must have a source for that not used for the Gospels.  I don't doubt Jesus said it; John claims in his Gospel that not everything made it into the accounts of Jesus. 

The point of Paul is that working to give is a much more Christ-like quality than working to get.  And that is definitely a lesson I can take to heart.  It's very different than the environment I work in as a salesperson.  I would be swimming upstream against strong current to hold to such a view.  Yet, I see a way to do it, even in my arena.  Even my manager encourages such a view, and provided a "mental framework" in which to do what they ask yet keep this "service" mindset. Even my Master has made a way for me to follow Him in service through my vocation.  Now that is blessed.  Now to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment