Saturday, February 2, 2013

Groping for the Unknown God

Act 17:23
23 For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, ‘TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. ’ Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you.
(NASBStr)

The observant Paul found something odd in Athens, a 'catch-all' altar. It wasn't to just any 'god' but to one for Whom they had no name. They were 'groping' for Him (v.27), or used to.

Don't people do that? It would take some serious evidence to convince me that all humans are not religious creatures. We are all 'groping' for the Unknown God, yet, sadly, as Paul points out, 'He is not far from us.'

So close, yet still so dead. The is no life apart from our Maker, and the poor dead souls about me seek that life I have, groping in the dark for the light I enjoy. I feel so powerless to communicate the truth, yet so compelled to try. If only I would see others this way all the time, and not just while I'm blogging. They may be pathetically dead, but I'm pathetically alive. This must change.

No comments:

Post a Comment