Sunday, June 10, 2012

What Do You Feed the Creator of All Matter?

Now the LORD appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, while he was sitting at the tent door in the heat of the day.  When he lifted up his eyes and looked, behold, three men were standing opposite him; and when he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them and bowed himself to the earth, and said, "My lord, if now I have found favor in your sight, please do not pass your servant by.  "Please let a little water be brought and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree; and I will bring a piece of bread, that you may refresh yourselves; after that you may go on, since you have visited your servant." And they said, "So do, as you have said."  So Abraham hurried into the tent to Sarah, and said, "Quickly, prepare three measures of fine flour, knead it and make bread cakes."  Abraham also ran to the herd, and took a tender and choice calf and gave it to the servant, and he hurried to prepare it.  He took curds and milk and the calf which he had prepared, and placed it before them; and he was standing by them under the tree as they ate.

Chapter 17 begins by saying that God appeared to Abram (v.1) and when He was done speaking to Abraham, He ascended (v.22).  From this I gather that this was a physical appearance.  One thing said in that personal encounter was that Sarah would bear Isaac by this season the following year.  No mention was made of the hospitality of Abraham.  In that conversation, Abram's name is changed to Abraham, the name used in chapter 18.  The impression given is that 18 happens afterward.  Yet in chapter 18, the same comment about Sarah bearing Isaac around this time next year is made again.  It's just weird.  Now the other content is different, like God being called El Shaddai in 17, and Yahweh in 18.  Also circumcision is prescribed in 17, and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah in 18.  There are obvious glaring differences, but the subtle similarities are also striking.

But whatever is thought about the relationship between the two, one glaring difference which has always arrested my attention is the hospitality of Abraham.  In 18, he sees "three men" so runs, and bows down before them.  The first verse says that Yahweh appeared (much like 17), and Abraham calls Him Lord (not by name).  But Abraham's behavior is not as one to an equal (like Mamre and his brothers) but as to a Sovereign.  It's his behavior that suggests Abraham knows exactly Who has shown up at his tent.  Abraham's response is hospitality.  So, what does one feed the Creator of all matter?

From Abraham's choice of items, it seems that his best beef and fresh bread is what makes the perfect meal served with butter and milk.  He also stood by as their waiter, attending to their every need.  The scene then, as Yahweh informs Abraham of the coming of Isaac (again?) is the three men seated beneath the "Oaks of Mamre", enjoying the fresh meal, Abraham standing to attend to them, and Sarah listening at the tent opening.  It makes an interesting setting.  This account of a personal visit by the Maker of all things has engaging story elements, and visualizing it is much easier than in Chapter 17.  In fact, the whole encounter in Chapter 18 is more experiential or existential (as those terms really should be understood, not as philosophy has redefined them today). 

The point where these verses hit me most personally is in Abraham's immediate response to seeing the three men.  He recognizes his Master and immediately responds with hospitality.  Would I be able to really recognize my Master so well?  If I did, would I be able to keep my wits about me enough to be properly hospitable?  What does "properly hospitable" even mean when my Master comes to visit?  How is it even possible to be properly anything where a personal encounter with God is involved?  He makes stars!  What can I do, what do I feed, what do I say that can "properly" respond to such a One?

Abraham simply does what his cultural traditions dictate is done when an important person comes by.  He is himself in his setting at that time.  And his Master participates.  They wait, they eat (really?), and then have a conversation with Abraham (and Sarah as it turns out).  God is pleased with Abraham's preparations and treatment of Him.  Isn't it important to note that the Creator and Master of billions of galaxies accommodates the traditions and culture of one of His creatures?  I think I get so caught up in what "form" my Master may want, but when He hasn't "prescribed" a "form" I think this passage reveals that He isn't concerned about the form as much as He is the encounter, the relationship.  He does so much concern Himself with what format my prayers are in, as much as He is that I pray.  When I sing in worship, He is not so concerned that I am on key as much as He is concerned that what I sing reflects my adoration of Him.  It's not what's on the plate, it's that I serve it to Him.  Now, that is grace.  Well, I better get cooking, you never know who's coming to Sunday lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment