Monday, June 25, 2012

Genesis 20: But it was only sort of a lie…

Now these are the records of the generations of Terah. Terah became the father of Abram, Nahor and Haran; and Haran became the father of Lot.  Haran died in the presence of his father Terah in the land of his birth, in Ur of the Chaldeans. Abram and Nahor took wives for themselves. The name of Abram's wife was Sarai; and the name of Nahor's wife was Milcah, the daughter of Haran, the father of Milcah and Iscah.  Sarai was barren; she had no child.  Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran, his grandson, and Sarai his daughter-in-law, his son Abram's wife; and they went out together from Ur of the Chaldeans in order to enter the land of Canaan; and they went as far as Haran, and settled there.   The days of Terah were two hundred and five years; and Terah died in Haran. (Genesis 20:27-32 NASB)

And Abimelech said to Abraham, "What have you encountered, that you have done this thing?"   Abraham said, "Because I thought, surely there is no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.  Besides, she actually is my sister, the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother, and she became my wife; and it came about, when God caused me to wander from my father's house, that I said to her, 'This is the kindness which you will show to me: everywhere we go, say of me, "He is my brother.”’” (Genesis 20:10-14 NASB)

In Genesis 12, Abram has Sarai claim to be his sister while they are in Egypt, and the Pharaoh tries to take her as a wife, and Abram is amply rewarded.  The resulting plagues on Pharaoh’s house incline him to give Sarah back and expel them from Egypt.  When I recently reviewed that account, I proposed that Abram was actually shrewd rather than faithless.  My reasoning went like this:  Saying Sarah was his sister would lose her as his wife; as her brother, if he tried to keep her from being married, he would be in as much or greater danger than as her husband.  So, actually trusting that Yahweh would protect all that was his, Abram was confident that he could use this ruse and survive, perhaps wealthier than he had been.  In fact, God does seem to defend and bless Abram in this activity.

In this passage I’m running out of space to defend Abraham.  First off, where’s the danger?  Sarah is 90 years old and despairs of having the joy of her husband anyway, can she still be thought of as a “looker”?  Second, Abraham has a much more detailed explanation for his actions here.  In chapter 12, he said to Sarai that he was afraid the Egyptians would kill him for her, but an answer to Pharaoh is never recorded.  Here he does not explain to Sarah, he explains to Abimelech that he was afraid the people of Gerar would kill him for his wife.  But he also explains that she is his wife.  This is where I have a problem.  If she were actually his “half-sister”, I would expect a note to that effect in Genesis 11.

In Genesis 11 the children of Terah are listed descriptively.  Terah has three sons.  The youngest of Terah’s sons, Haran, seems to have died in his home country, but has three children; a son, Lot, and two daughters, Milcah and Iscah.  The eldest daughter marries her uncle, Nahor, Terah’s middle son.  Abram has a wife, Sarai, and the only description of her is that she is barren.  If she had a filial connection, it seems that it too would have been described since that sort of description was part of this account.  I suspect that Abraham is lying here, and I’ve may run out of room to defend him.

On the other hand, God seems to, again, bless this line of behavior.  God stops Abimelech from going near Sarah, and instructs Abimelech to have Abraham pray for him so that he will be healed.  Really?  If this was something involving lying, why does God seem to support it, defend it, and even participate in it?  Abimelech gives Abraham a bunch of stuff to make it right between them, and Abraham does pray for Abimelech.  It’s truly strange.

So, what does this mean for me?  I see a few things for my own use.  First off, I learn that I don’t have as many answers to Scripture and, therefore, the character of my Master as I would like.  This passage challenges me to trust that the things in Scripture I do understand are still true, and that, in this instance, I’m just not getting the whole story.  I just have to trust that, because this looks suspiciously like the Master of all matter and some Mesopotamian nomad are scamming the Canaanite locals (Abraham claims this is just what he does, everywhere).  I just find that hard to believe.  Maybe it’s a cultural thing I don’t understand or something.  Anyway, I need to continue to swing from the belief that my Master is the definition of Good, Pure, Righteous, and Holy.

The second thing I see in this passage is that my Master works with His people in odd ways.  If Abraham is really afraid, it’s interesting that he goes at all?  Why not stay in Hebron by the Oaks of Mamre where he spent over 10 years waiting on God to speak?  Whether it was Abraham just wanting to see the rest of the land his Master was giving his descendants or just because he needed more/different pasture land, God blesses him as he goes.  God seems to have used Abraham in Hebron with Mamre and his brothers, and here in the desert of the Negev, God seems to be using him again, this time to reach Abimelech.  And the reaching is wildly effective.  God used a lie to do it, whether it was God’s idea or just His ability to weave mistakes of His creatures into His plan, Abimelech speaks with God and is esteemed by God to be righteousness (or at least honest), or at least they talk together – which is good.

I suppose, I need to widen my understanding of how my Master works with His human creatures, what He might use them for, and stop condemning other servants for what I disagree with in their lives.  I can call them on it, but I have to leave room for God’s work in their lives.  He may be using what looks disagreeable to me for His wider, greater purpose.

So to sum up, I’m not as smart as I want to be about my Master, I’m not as wise as I want to be about Scripture, and I’m not as insightful as I want to be about my fellow followers of Jesus.  Well, okay then.  I suppose I have a lot of growing to do…I better get after it.

No comments:

Post a Comment