Friday, September 5, 2014

Making The Lord's Supper Communion

Therefore when you meet together, it is not to eat the Lord's Supper, for in your eating each one takes his own supper first; and one is hungry and another is drunk. What! Do you not have houses in which to eat and drink? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? In this I will not praise you. (1 Corinthians 11:20-22 NASB)
The practice of sharing the Lord's Supper in worship is one of two things Jesus commanded of His disciples, the other being baptism.  Some denominations refer to them as 'ordinances' others as 'sacraments' and others as other references denoting something commanded and required.  So, as believers, we have to do it.

The views about how it's done, who participates, and so on varies even more than denominational terminology.  Some believe only believers can partake, others permit anyone.  Some say only members of a congregation, others anyone of any congregation.  Some take it every week, others every quarter, others semiannually, some even annually.  Some use crackers, others an actual loaf of bread.  Some use little plastic cups, others share one actual cup.  Some use real wine, others grape juice.  It also seems possible to mix and match these views, practices, and elements.

So, without consistency in practice, terminology, or ingredients, what is it from this passage in 1 Corinthians 11 that can be applied to the eclectic experience of believers in our culture, or simply in my own experience?  There are actually several I can find laying about on the surface, and a few lying just below.

First off, the problem that Paul is addressing in practice is where the wealthy are behaving in a way that segregates them from the poorer believers.  So that is one area easy to see, where I can apply it.  In the practice of my own church, I can be one of those influences that does what I can to connect to those around me with whom I take the Lord's Supper.  While it may not be a difference of economic affluence, it could be a difference in anything, dress, speech, appearance, skin color, even weight in our culture; any of these can be separating influences that can be overcome by doing something to connect with the person to whom I 'pass the plate.'  The connection can be as simple as 'here you go', 'the body and blood of our Lord', or even a look that connects rather than divides.  It's not like I can guarantee that what I do or say will connect with the person, or even that it won't be taken wrong; but it's the extension of myself into the life of another during the practice that I see as important.

Second thing I see here is that an actual meal is involved.  In our church we do like to eat.  So, being an influence that does what I can to make sure no one is left out is important.  In this there are lots of opportunities.  The differences in diet within our church are enormous.  Some can't have gluten, my wife doesn't eat sugar, others are vegetarians, and so on.  I can make sure that I help (since I can't control) others getting something they can eat so we can, as a church, share together.  Being mindful that not everyone can have everything, so not depleting those special dishes for those with restrictions is actually courteous and thoughtful.  I can do that.  This doesn't have to do specifically with a Lord's Supper as it did in Corinth, but is a communal event even so.

A third surface observation is that I see this practice is a proclamation of Jesus' death; the very thing we share in common enabling us to have a relationship with our Creator.  So, how can I, in my practice of this ensure that my practice faithfully proclaims the salvation of the world by my Master?  The application here may change or drift from one activity to another and back.  It may depend on the Sunday, the people around whom I sit.  I can lift the elements to my Master as I partake, in thanks and recognition.  As other see this, they see my proclamation in my actions.  Perhaps I can say something to the person to whom I pass the plate to 'proclaim the Lord's death'.  I don't know, and I don't think it necessarily has to be the same action each time, but it needs to be done.

One problem I see just below the surface here is an attitude that my cultural behavior, whatever status I have outside the congregation, or whatever influence I have should be a part of my relationship to others in the church.  That is a gross error.  The error lies in that it assumes that my status in this world reflects my status before my Master and in His Kingdom.  Before my Master I am whatever He declares me, but whatever He declares me isn't any more or less than what He has declared of my brothers and sisters.  My role is different, my name on His lips is different, and my position within His Kingdom could be different.  But I am as equal before my Master as the highest, lowest, newest, oldest and youngest of my fellow believers.  Seeing myself any other way, and treating others in any other way, violates and cheapens my treatment of the Bride of my Master.  We are to be one, even as He is.  His Spirit unifies us, and I have the same Spirit as do my fellow worshipers and fellow followers of Jesus.  That, within the church, trumps any cultural social or economic status I may enjoy outside in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment