Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Leadership: Surviving The Fire of Life

Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work.  If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.  If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. (1 Corinthians 3:12-15 NASB)
These verses refer to work in a church, among believers, by those called by the Spirit of God to lead.  The 'building' refers to the work or teaching.  The building materials some how relate to the content or intent of the teaching or work.  But I'm interested this morning in the 'fire'.  What makes up the 'fire' used to test the quality of the work?

Gordon Fee pointed out that 'fire' is used as either 'smelter' fire which 'refines' quality (i.e. makes it better), or 'testing' fire which determines the quality.  Quality things withstand fire better than poor quality things.  This is not a reference to refining, but to testing.  So, what sort of things 'test' the quality of teaching or work of church leaders?

Normally, with either refining or testing, the fire corresponds to life events, difficult, stressful, perhaps disastrous, occurrences in life.  If that holds true here, then Paul is saying that those who have been building on the foundation of Jesus Christ which he laid will have their work (content or activity) tested by coming life events.  I suppose it makes little difference whether it's persecution events or simply secular upheaval of some sort.  The point of his statement is more about the revealed quality.

I suspect that his comment about surviving but as through fire may make more sense in relation to persecution events, but I still think it makes little difference.  His overarching point is that the quality of the content of work and teaching will be shown.  Life, as he knew it, and I suspect as we know it, simply does that with anything.  Life is 'hard' regardless of what is done or where one lives.  The 'hard' may look different, but the effects are often similar.

What I'm getting from this exercise is that I need to be careful.  I'm not some great leader in our church, expounding on Scripture, or one a bunch of people look to for wisdom and insight.  I lead a small group and manage the coffee bar.  But even with the limited impact I have, the content of the work and teaching I do will be tested.  In the fire of a life lived in a world in rebellion against my Master, the quality of my teaching and work within this church will be revealed for what it is.  I may escape the flames, but will I come away empty smelling of smoke, or with the gems and gold of my work revealed?

What is my fire?  Have I already passed through (I doubt it)?  Does it loom on the horizon?  What will it look like?  How will I respond?  Is there an effective drug for paranoia?  Where do I get some?  Why are you looking at me that way?  Did that guy just look at me?  Does he know?  Why is everyone talking about me?  Could I be any more narcissistic?  Can you imagine a world revolving around you?  No?  Then worry about the 'fire' testing your work, it'll suddenly show up, that 'paradigm' with you in the center.  I don't recommend paranoid schizophrenia, you know, if you can help it.  Try and leave that part of the paradigm out.

Okay, so worrying about the 'fire' also misses the point.  Obviously, the point is that I should build, work, and teach with quality so I won't have to worry about the fire.  I need to be careful what I teach, careful how I serve, mindful of Who I serve, and provide people quality on behalf of my Master, Jesus Christ.  It's a lot less stressful than a PS disorder or taking funky drugs to prevent it.  No sense over emphasizing myself; that would guarantee poor content, ensuring the eventual demise of whatever I teach or do.  Again, a focus on my Master, Jesus, should guarantee successful quality.

1 comment:

  1. I love the point you make about we don't need to fear the fire if we are building w/ quality material. Really nice post.

    ReplyDelete