Tuesday, June 10, 2014

All What Things?

Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you thinks that he is wise in this age, he must become foolish, so that he may become wise.  For the wisdom of this world is foolishness before God. For it is written, "He is THE ONE WHO CATCHES THE WISE IN THEIR CRAFTINESS"; and again, "THE LORD KNOWS THE REASONINGS of the wise, THAT THEY ARE USELESS."  So then let no one boast in men. For all things belong to you, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or things present or things to come; all things belong to you, and you belong to Christ; and Christ belongs to God. (Acts 3:18-23 NASB)
On the surface, this ending of this particular segment of this particular argument sound really familiar.  Paul again returns to wise and foolish and God.  Here though, Paul does something that threw me.  He says that 'all things belong to you' which I'm not sure I understand.  The reason I'm not sure I understand is because at first I thought he was being sarcastic, but he winds up serious, and saying the same thing.  I think he's serious about that.

 Part of my dilemma with this statement is the ambiguity of 'all things'.  If he were referring to the 'all the things I've just brought up' then why not put a 'these' in there, 'all these things'?  Paul leaves those out sometimes, and even that would not have solved all the ambiguity.  The progression of 'all things' to those things of 'Paul' or 'Apollos' or 'Peter' to world, life, death, present, future, and then that all that with the Corinthian believers added in, belong to Jesus and He to God creates a categorical interpretation.

So what Paul means is truly all of creation.  But this includes 'ideas', not just material things.  Things of Paul or Apollos, or Peter refers to 'teachings' and so ideas are also included in this 'all'.  And states of being, as in life or death, are also included in this 'all'.  And time is included, both present and future.  This ambiguous 'all' is truly all encompassing.

So it's big, so what?  In what way do 'all things' in the widest sense of this word actually belong to the believers in Corinth?  It's not like they can 'control' all things, so it's not ownership in that sense.  This is probably one of those passages used by some theological strains of Christianity to support a view that 'dominion' in Genesis 1 and 2 referred to all creation, and therefore we as believers today have 'control' (or are supposed to) over all things.  I don't think that is what is being said here.

So I will derive my understanding of the way in which believers have 'all things' from the context.  This passage occurs in a discussion of the wrong behavior of the believers.  They considered themselves 'spiritual' yet were behaving like fleshly people.  They considered themselves 'wise' but were acting foolish.  They looked about them and considered themselves in light of others around them, competing with each other, and trying to 'get over' on each other.  What I think Paul is saying is that they have all things as opposed to some having more than others.

I believe that Paul is setting the believers up for the next chapter where he can ask, 'what do you have that you have not received?'  What I have is what God has intended for me to have.  I have it from Him.  Why would I think I don't have enough?  And why would I think I have any more than my brothers and sisters?  These questions remove the pride and boasting.  They set me on a completely different footing, one I desperately need.  I'm not 'missing' something like some piece is missing.  But I've also not 'acquired' more than someone else making me rich and them poor.

Can I also point out that this too belongs in the context of church?  So my 'wealth' in that 'all things belong to me' fall under the umbrella of church. I get there two ways.  First, the 'you' here is plural (easily seen in Greek, not so easily seen in English).  Second, all things (including the believers) belong to Jesus.  I believe that the 'wealth of my Master' is mine, but as I am a part of His church.  I don't believe I'm as 'wealthy' or that I have nearly 'all things' when I keep myself from gathering and worshiping and serving with fellow believers.

Okay, so I have all things, and am not 'lacking' something.  So now, my challenge is live out these words, this truth.  It's not easy, partly because my enemy whispers and yells that I'm lacking something I see in someone else, he's fostering jealousy and fear.  And he's wrong.  Jesus has not shorted me; my Master has not left me an orphan.  The truth remains for me to believe and live out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment