Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Facing The Ground, Addressing The King

So he said to his men, "Far be it from me because of the LORD that I should do this thing to my lord, the LORD'S anointed, to stretch out my hand against him, since he is the LORD'S anointed."  David persuaded his men with these words and did not allow them to rise up against Saul. And Saul arose, left the cave, and went on his way.  Now afterward David arose and went out of the cave and called after Saul, saying, "My lord the king!" And when Saul looked behind him, David bowed with his face to the ground and prostrated himself. (1 Samuel 24:6-8 NASB)
 One of the qualities of David that shines through regardless of where he is or what he's doing is respect for others.  He doesn't just respect elders, but he respects other people.  He is the true warrior, defeating the foes of the people of God wherever he goes.  Yet he is also kind.  He doesn't have to be.  He is talented, gifted, very bright, and does not loose battles.  But people follow him, do what he says, go where he goes, and fight dangerous foes for him.

Consider the quality of a man who, between two audiences, bows himself before his mortal enemy because that person is the anointed king.  Those before him see that he is not what they feared.  Those behind see that he is more than what they imagined.  The 3,000 young men with Saul probably knew nothing of what David was really like, only what they had heard.  The 600 behind him in the cave knew only what they had seen as he led them through the desert running from Saul.  Now both see an expected quality.

Can I display that quality, have it as my own?  What would it take; to be able to show respect for people regardless of what they have done to me?  First, I can only assume that it would take the ability to forgive.  That is one of the most powerful actions any person can take.  Second, it would probably take honest assessment of myself before my Master.  That is one of the most powerful visions any person can have.

Seeing myself as my Master sees me is both humbling and empowering.  Spending some time in Ephesians 2 can greatly expand any understanding of who followers of my Master are.  The truth of who we are as opposed to what we look like is one of those things that, like the vastness of the universe, is hard to grasp.  And it's not just how my Master sees me, it is the truth about the core of my being.  I am not as described in Ephesians 2 because of something I did, or some quality I've always had but ignored.  On the contrary, the extreme contrary, the things I have done, still do, and will do in the future tarnish the view of who I am.

For I have been rescued from the enemy of humanity by the free gift of my Master, through faith in Him given to me by Him, so that I can see clearly that it is not a quality of my own, removing any boasting on my part, but also any responsibility.  And I have been rescued by the Great Artist as a masterpiece of His so that I might perform the actions on behalf of my Master which He prepared from ancient times for me to live out.  Long story short; I have been changed to my very core by my Master for His purpose in His world.

That's what's true, for me, as it was for David.  It's what enabled David to bow before the wildly insane king pursuing his life.  It's what enables me to respect the difficult customers, teammates, managers, friends, foes, and family around me.  The truth of who I am because of my Master takes away the need to protect myself, provide for myself, and attack to gain what I want.  Instead, I simply live out those activities which my Master prepared for me from the very beginning point of creation.

So, it's not my plan, even my good and wise ones; not my ability, though I may be very capable; not my wisdom, though I may be wiser than some.  Instead my life is truly about the plans of my Master, His abilities, and His wisdom.  And this is true even when I don't act like it.  Again, I have been rescued by grace.  I am who I am, even if I sometimes forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment