Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Parenting The Church in Corinth

Now, brethren, we wish to make known to you the grace of God which has been given in the churches of Macedonia, that in a great ordeal of affliction their abundance of joy and their deep poverty overflowed in the wealth of their liberality.  For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord, begging us with much urging for the favor of participation in the support of the saints, and this, not as we had expected, but they first gave themselves to the Lord and to us by the will of God. (2 Corinthians 8:1-5 NASB)
For it is superfluous for me to write to you about this ministry to the saints; for I know your readiness, of which I boast about you to the Macedonians, namely, that Achaia has been prepared since last year, and your zeal has stirred up most of them.  But I have sent the brethren, in order that our boasting about you may not be made empty in this case, so that, as I was saying, you may be prepared; otherwise if any Macedonians come with me and find you unprepared, we -- not to speak of you -- will be put to shame by this confidence. (2 Corinthians 9:1-4 NASB)
Chapters 8 and 9 of 2 Corinthians deal with the readiness of the church in Corinth to have an offering ready for the church in Jerusalem.  Paul uses two methods of motivation (technically more when examined closely), and they are so opposite I'm amused.  I would think it would be easy for the church there to spot, even if it weren't easy to ignore.  The two are captured in essence in the passages above.

First off, Paul mentions the churches in Macedonia to get the Corinthians going through guilt.  It's so much harder for them than for you, yet they are so excited to give and wouldn't let us leave them out.  Mom's have used this sort of thing forever.  It works, not always as well nor in the way intended, but it works.  The Corinthians would have been shamed into participating because the implication is that they have it so much easier than the Macedonian churches.  And note that Paul begins chapter 8 with "...the grace of God given to the churches..." claiming that this desire came from God, so not to have such a desire to give might mean the church in Corinth was less "spiritual" than the Macedonian churches.

Secondly, in chapter 9, Paul drives the point home with the old, "we've already bragged about you to them, don't disappoint us" line.  This is used by both fathers and mothers, and usually used to motivate the child to do what they don't feel like doing.  It's amazing how much decisions parenting are often motivated by a desire to not be embarrassed.  "Don't you embarrass me!"  Here Paul says that and throws it back on them that they would be embarrassed as well.  But he's a bit different in that he's already bragged on the church.  His assumption all along is that they will be ready when the times comes, and that's what he's told everyone.

So, two different prods, both lightly charged with electricity, both used to inspire a church to give money to a need.  So, what do I learn?  I learn something every pastor needs to know, every church goer needs to know, and every believer should appreciate.  God uses the money given by church people.  It may sound stupid or obvious, but I think that may be because most of the people reading this already give.  But consider how many others in your church don't, at all (and just so you know, statistically, I can tell you there are some who don't give a dime).

So pastors who ask for money (which they hate to do) are in the same boat as Paul, face the same difficulty, and have the same problems as the "early church".  This is one of many examples where I think people miss something important when they claim they want to be like the "early church".  They had issues too, and many of them were the same ones we face.  Church goers need to know that giving has always been part of God's plan.  They need to know that there has never been a time in the history of the church where giving was not a major activity in the church.  Basically, you go, you give, period.  And this is not "time" it's money.  The people in Jerusalem didn't need Corinth's "time" they needed the money.  It wasn't an option to give time instead of money.

Every believer, including myself, needs to appreciate that my Master must be Master over my money if He is to be Master over me.  As a slave, I don't have the right to anything around me, it's all provided by my Master.  I'm His slave, and He provides everything for me.  All I have is His, because I'm His slave and have nothing of my own.  It's just the way slavery works, it has always worked this way.  So when He tells me He wants something I have, like money for instance, what right do I have to refuse to give it?  He's the slave-owner, He doesn't need the money I have.  I need it to feed my family and provide for them, and that's why He gave it to me, for those things.  Yet, He asks for it anyway, and He has the right to do so; it's His anyway.

How believers miss this is beyond me.  Yet I am among those that miss it.  I write it and then miss it.  I believe it, and if asked would claim that it's obvious I don't "own" I "manage" as a steward not an owner.  Yet when it comes to then giving, I still struggle.  What about other areas of my life?  If I do find it easy to give money, how about time too?  What about other "things" I have, can/will I give them back to my Master if He asks?  This belief that I own nothing because I'm a slave, and that my Master owns it all should be pervasive, not merely surface or compartmentalized.  Yet, I have my compartments.  I suppose that my lesson from these passages is to tear down the "cubicle walls" of my interior life, and open up the "loft" so I can live in the "studio" of an unhindered life with my Master.  It's all His and it's all visible and available to Him for His use, money and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment