Monday, January 7, 2013

How Do I Know When to Move On?

But the Jews who disbelieved stirred up the minds of the Gentiles and embittered them against the brethren.   Therefore they spent a long time there speaking boldly with reliance upon the Lord, who was testifying to the word of His grace, granting that signs and wonders be done by their hands.  But the people of the city were divided; and some sided with the Jews, and some with the apostles.  And when an attempt was made by both the Gentiles and the Jews with their rulers, to mistreat and to stone them, they became aware of it and fled to the cities of Lycaonia, Lystra and Derbe, and the surrounding region; and there they continued to preach the gospel. (Acts 14:2-7 NASB)
Paul and Barnabas keep moving from city to city, sharing the good news of Jesus as they go.  Yet they stay in a city as long as it takes for faith to take root.  In verse 3, they clearly stay in the face of opposition.  Yet in verse 6, as they become aware of a turn the opposition takes, they move on.  Moving on, they continued to preach the good news of Jesus.  So, in a sense, they never quit, just changed venues a few times.

So how did they know when the change of venue was warranted?  It's clear later on that Paul does not always move in the face of personal danger.  In the next city he is stoned, and still doesn't move on immediately.  So, how does he know?  What is his criteria?

By piecing together clues from this and the previous chapter, I believe that the criteria isn't always the same.  In this region they are in, the criteria is at least similar; or rather the context is similar.  So, any conclusion drawn is an interpretation rather than some sort of clear indication.  I think that Paul and Barnabas are using a criteria that waits until the opposition is so focused on them, rather than the people in general.  Once the opposition becomes all about them, they leave.

So, once it escalates to stoning in Iconium Paul and Barnabas, they move on.  Once Paul is stoned in Lystra, they move on shortly thereafter.  On the other hand, Luke doesn't tell us why they feel they are done in Derbe.  Maybe opposition wasn't all that bad in Derbe, or maybe Luke simply doesn't provide details which might be too repetitive.  In the previous chapter, Paul and Barnabas move through Cyprus without a lot of opposition, only noting Elymas or Bar-Jesus as an exception.  So, any criteria which included opposition was used in Asia Minor, not everywhere.

What becomes clear is that Paul and Barnabas know when to move on.  Whether they had done all they could and knew to leave the rest up to the locals, or they thought their presence had become more of a problem for the new congregations and they needed to give them some space, or any number of other options.  They knew.  So, the real conclusion I can draw here, solid observation from the text, is that my Master would let me know.  I believe He did in Idaho.  I believe He did in Texas before I brought my family out here to Nevada.  On the other hand, perhaps moving to California from Arizona when we did was not a move led by my Master.  Clearly, moving from California to Texas was the right move, that was confirmed right as we left.  It wasn't easy once we got there, but it was where we needed to be.

I ask this question because, as can be seen from the list of "where's", my family has moved a lot.  I didn't even mention them all.  I look at where I am now, and I know that I'm where I'm supposed to be.  But it is as I look back I wonder if I have always been where I was supposed to be.  I believe I can say with confidence that everywhere I've been, whether led to or fled to, my Master used me in that place.  Now He has led my family and me here.  I hope and believe that here is where He will keep me for some time.  On the other hand, I'm still available to Him for other options.  I believe He saw to that by putting us in a house where it is impossible to fully unpack.  So, here we are.  And here we will work, until my Master calls us elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment