Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Denied Passage in a Guided Mission

They passed through the Phrygian and Galatian region, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia; and after they came to Mysia, they were trying to go into Bithynia, and the Spirit of Jesus did not permit them; and passing by Mysia, they came down to Troas. (Acts 16:6-8 NASB)
One of the aspects of Luke's writing is his knack of leaving things out that don't really pertain to his point, and compressing time down to those things that do.  Like any author, he knew that not everything fits in a story where you have a specific ending point you're trying to reach.  It's a bit like film editing.  But what that does is bring the things he did include into sharper relief.  In Acts I learn that Paul isn't perfect; something that really concerned me reading his letters.  I find another example here in this passage.

His split with Barnabas over John Mark was one "plank-eyed" point in Paul's recorded history, but here's another, or at least one where I feel he joins the rest of Christian humanity.  He tries to go into an area to minister, but is prevented by the One he serves.  I love that because I do that.  I get in my head some idea of what would be a great way to minister.  I have some idea of what would really help God out (because He so desperately needs my help), or see an area where He hasn't reached yet, and think, "I'll go there!"

It has to be asked, why would there be an area where God would not want Paul to preach?  Seriously, at that point in time, there were virtually no reached peoples in the world.  A rock thrown in any direction would scarcely hit a believer anywhere in Antolia (Asia Minor or Turkey).  Yet God did not want Paul going where he so desperately wanted to go.  Instead he winds up at Troas, a huge port city and Roman colony.

Now, about my first statement that Luke leaves stuff out.  You're probably wondering about that.  Well, Galatia is a region where Paul writes a letter, so obviously he's been there and knows the churches.  But until this point Luke's never mentioned that, and even here never mentions Paul and believers in the region.  Clearly something was left out.  In fact, it hardly seems possible that Paul would be in a city the size and importance of Troas without ministering.  Yet that's not mentioned either.  In Luke's "tour of Paul", he's hitting high points.

In my imagination, I see Paul reaching the bustling port city of Troas and ending up as far west as he can go, sitting on one of the quay's staring at the sunset over the Aegean.  He's sad because he couldn't go where he was so sure he was supposed to be, and yet now he's here.  Why here?  As he sleeps that night, the view of the sunset visits his dream, only now, a man on the opposite shore is visible calling him to come over there! Ah ha! That's it!  He's been guided all this time.  That's my imagination.  It's much more likely Paul just went wherever and did whatever was needed believing all along that he was being guided.  But I like the picture in my head.

My point is that I don't always need a clear picture in order to move and minister, but I do need to be willing to be guided somewhere I'm not intending to go.   In a sense it's submission to the greater view point of my Master and His grander design.  It turns out that James later writes to churches in the regions where Paul was prevented from going.  It seems others reached there after all.  God hadn't forgot them.  It just wasn't up to Paul to be the arm with which He reached them.  I need to submit the picture my Master has, even if He hasn't shown it.  But as I wait, it's still good to try to discover this will, look around and try things He may be wanting done.  In a sense, it's good to move, and let the hand of my Master guide me like a trickle of water, wherever He wants me to go.  It sure beats being a stagnant mosquito-breeding pool of slime (like that's the only other option).  Keep the flow going!

No comments:

Post a Comment