Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Son of a So-and-So, Categorically Speaking


Noah was five hundred years old, and Noah became the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. (Genesis 5:32-6:2)

One of the interesting idioms of Hebrew is use of ‘son of’ to refer to a member of a particular category.  The three verses above have three examples.  Noah is a “son of 500 years” (or actually a ‘son of five hundreds year’).  The “sons of God” are another category, and the “daughters of the man” form another.  The category of age is a strange way to refer to it, but it works.  We use it a lot in modern language but usually from a reference point of ourselves, “he’s so young”, “she’s just a kid”, “they’re old”, and so on.  Our categories may not be as precise, but we still use them.

The category of “daughters of the man” though is one easily understood, but still sounding strange.  C.S. Lewis used this sort of reference when he refers to human children as “sons of Adam” or “daughters of Eve” in his Narnian Chronicles.  The reference to the “sons of God” has always caused theologians trouble, and probably always will.  It should cause everyone trouble, but not everyone thinks about it much.  Those thinking about it and looking into its uses find it troubling.  It refuses to be consistent enough to pin down to one meaning. 

I think the only meager consistency about the references to the ‘sons of God’ is that these ‘people’ belong in a category shared by God Himself.  I suspect without knowing for sure that it refers to angelic beings, and that what is written of here is an important clue to the fall of some.  Jesus said there was no marriage in heaven.  Some of those there in the presence of God Himself decided marriage was more important than remaining before His throne.  I see it as their particular “tree of the knowledge of good and evil”. 

So, what category would I fall into?  What am I a “son of…”?  There are a lot of things I could place there; many not very pleasant or admirable.  One of the worst is that I am a son of addiction; not a happy category, but one that is true about me.  While I may try to escape this category, and while it may not have as strong an influence over me as at other times, I never truly escape it.  That fact came home to roost last week.  I was sick in more ways than one last week.  I had been sick a week or so back, and was caught last week; caught in my addiction and in my lie to protect it.

But I live in more than one category at the same time.  I am also a son of God.  And yes, I am adopted into that category, but I have been placed into it by God Himself (clearly He takes anybody).  So those of that category before me who chose the daughters of the man over the presence of God, yeah, I’m in their category.  Like the Accuser in Job who was in the assembly of the sons of God and accused Job, I’m in his category too.  But I’m also in the category with Paul, my frustratingly good ministry model.  I’m in the category with Peter the rocky human.  I’m in the category with John the loving fisherman (also a son of thunder, by the way).

I am among the fallen, and also among the living.  I am among the fractured frail failures, and also among the terrible triumphant troops of the Trinity.  I am among the low-born ignorant peasantry, and also among the Knights of the Realm, Servants of the King.  One I was born into, and one I was born again into.  So daily I walk in two worlds, two sets of true categories.  But which category will I choose to spend my time in?  The choice of Abraham is my choice, where will I pitch my tent?


No comments:

Post a Comment