Wednesday, November 12, 2014

When It's The People In Church...

But I will come to you after I go through Macedonia, for I am going through Macedonia; and perhaps I will stay with you, or even spend the winter, so that you may send me on my way wherever I may go.  For I do not wish to see you now just in passing; for I hope to remain with you for some time, if the Lord permits.  But I will remain in Ephesus until Pentecost; for a wide door for effective service has opened to me, and there are many adversaries. (1 Corinthians 16:5-9 NASB)
 One of the most frustrating elements of ministry is the people who make up the church.  It's a common joke among ministers that ministry would be great if it weren't for the people.  Paul's strained relationship with the people in the church in Corinth is not hard to spot all throughout the letter.  He clearly has issues with the way they have dealt with him, how they have treated his teaching, and so on.  He is not nearly as impressed with them as they are with themselves.

Yet with all that included, Paul still looks forward to being with them.  It sounds strange, but then, read carefully, especially the last part of the paragraph above.  He's staying in Ephesus "for a wide door for effective service has opened to me", which you would expect to encourage him to continue to serve there.  But then he adds this little nugget, "and there are many adversaries."  One of the reasons he is staying in Ephesus through Pentecost (early summer) is because there are many adversaries.

I have said before and I will say again, Paul is the most frustrating ministry example in Scripture for me.  He says and seems to do things that I just can't bring myself to match.  He sets the bar so high that I truly can't imagine hitting it, let alone going over it.  Here again, the bar is raised.  Who chooses to minister because it's hard?  Who does that?  Who looks at the frustrating people ministered to, ministered with, ministered among, and goes, "Wow, this is hard.  These people are whacked!  Let's keep going!"

This isn't an adrenaline junky in for the quick success in the face of massive odds.  This isn't the tough wrangler in for the immediate struggle against evil.  It's not the kind meek person just rolling with the 'waves' of life.  This is the guy who simply outlasts his opponents regardless of how many there are or how long it takes.  Paul is the Olympic Marathon runner of tough difficult ridiculous ministry.  Wherever, with whomever, for whomever, for however long it takes, he's going to minister.  He makes US Marines tired.  He makes Navy Seals seem like slackers.  He makes me really frustrated!

Paul wants to go to Corinth.  He wants to be among these people who slander him, disrespect him, denounce his teaching in favor of pagan philosophy, who quarrel among themselves, treat each other with contempt, treat God with contempt, have contempt for the sacrifice of Jesus as they celebrate His last meal, and basically run around as if they have 'arrived' spiritually.  I wouldn't want to be in the same city, forget being within their number.  I wouldn't even know where to start with such people.  He wants to dive right in, stay a while, share their lives, be a part of their worship and celebration.  Seriously?

Okay, it's already obvious to you, so I'll confess.  I'm ashamed that I don't have Paul's attitude toward service in the church.  In a sense I'm jealous, in a sense I'm convicted, my shortcomings are exposed, my wrong attitude made obvious in comparison to his perfect one.  And just as obvious, I don't feel like repenting of my position in favor of his.  If I did, my tone would be different, but I don't, so it isn't.  I don't want to wade into conflict, stupid arguments, foolish people, and pointless practices.  I don't.  I don't!  But who am I trying to convince?

This isn't about me, it's about my Master, His calling on my life, and only then about my obedience.  And it's not about obedience because He somehow needs me for some reason.  It's only about my obedience so that I am more available to Him, enter into a deeper dependence upon Him, and find that I am only sufficient in Him, His power, and His wisdom.  This is about the Teacher coming alongside me to help me learn that I need Him, and He is faithful.  It's about deepening faith, strengthening dependence upon my Master, and creating an environment where the lost are drawn to the throne of the King.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not in vocational ministry.  So, for the record, this is about what I do as a volunteer among such frustrating circumstances and people.  And also on that record should be the roll call of those who have been amazing blessings to me, for instance the people of my small group.  I have seen growth, I have seen faith, I have witnessed compassion for each other, and I have been a part of service with them to each other, them to me and us to others.  If you are exempting yourself from this perspective, this call to minister in the ridiculous, then you are way off.  Unfortunately for all of us, the example of Paul is for everyone, not just vocational ministers.  See, now you are frustrated with him too, aren't you?

The challenge for me is to wade into the fray of my Master's human creatures, and lovingly come alongside them as my Master has come alongside me.  It's messy, it's painful, it's time consuming, and it's sometimes fruitless.  But it is a call to follow my Master.  He didn't touch or heal everyone in Palestine or even Jerusalem.  He didn't just hang around those with whom He was popular, or help just those He liked or liked Him.  He didn't just...Instead He went where He did, met whomever was there or along the way, and did what He knew needed to be done.  He was obedient to His Father. 

And He left a trail for me to follow.  That's the challenge.  I don't like 'Pharisees' and they don't like me.  But it seems I should have a meal with them; and I shouldn't serve ham just to irk them either.  I'm not a big fan of fickle religious 'fan's' (followers of whoever or whatever is popular at the moment).  But it seems I should walk with them; and not entertain myself with kicking the frail props of their theological positions.  I'm not comfortable with those who seem to have a small god and wimpy Jesus.  But it seems that the true Son of the Creator all matter wants me to invite them over to look through my telescope at the universe, and not so I can shame them with my much bigger stronger version of God either.  Where's the fun in all that?  Well, so long 'comfort zone', good bye cynicism, ciao sarcasm, my old friends, it's been fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment