Friday, July 4, 2014

What Has Been Written

1Co 4:6-7 6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other. 7 For who regards you as superior? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it? http://olivetree.com/b3/1Co.4.6.NASBStr

I am a huge proponent of reading Scripture, and doing so submissively. Wht I mean by that is to read Scripture submitting myself to what I read. It's something I have to consciously attempt to do; I'm very impressed with my own views, I have to work to submit those to my Master's views. I wish it came naturally. I wish it were as easy to see in myself as it is to see in others.

The fact that Paul ties pride to this problem here is neither an accident nor unique to problems in the church in Corinth.  My difficulty submitting myself to what has been written is a direct result of my own pride.  What's interesting to me is how he puts it, 'not to exceed what is written', which an interesting way to approach Scripture.

Many people in and outside the community of faith in Jesus consider Scripture to be old, of another culture, and therefore out of touch with modern issues and problems.  Therefore the need to 'exceed what is written' is considered a necessity by many.  So, they add things to their faith in Jesus, they add practices to their worship, and they add perspectives from modern sources to their world view; the Bible just doesn't address so many of these 'modern' issues.

I do this when my 'interpretations' of Scripture become like Scripture, and disagreements become personal insults.  I've crossed a line at that point.  What my Master inspired to be written, He intended for reproof, correction, and for more.  What is recorded is the self-revelation of my Master to His human creatures.  He inspired what we need to know Him and have a relationship with Him.  If it accomplishes this, how can it be lacking?

The problems begin when I remove submission from my practice.  Then what I read is more about me than Him.  This passage is about correcting the pride and arrogance that pits one believer against another instead of submitting in humility to our Savior, and then to each other.  It's not about a method of interpretation,  even though one may be assumed behind the statement.  It's not about the believers in Corinth.  It is about how they, and therefore all of us, relate to our Savior.  Because if I can treat my brother in Christ with contempt or disdain, how am I not treating my Savior the same way?  If I treat my fellow believer as if they are fools compared to me, how am I not treating my Savior in the same way?  Did He not make us both?  Aren't we both servants of the same Master?

So my response needs to be submission; first to my Master, then to Scripture, then to my fellow servants.  So I learn not to exceed what my Master has inspired, learn to submit myself, limit myself to that.  Rather than what I want Scripture to say, I allow it to say what my Master inspires.  Then I am learning, and more likely able to teach.  But even that isn't,  can't be, the point.  The point must be the work of my Master in me, and through that work, in the lives of those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment