Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Ends, Means, and Justification: How God Connects Them

Now he waited seven days, according to the appointed time set by Samuel, but Samuel did not come to Gilgal; and the people were scattering from him.   So Saul said, "Bring to me the burnt offering and the peace offerings." And he offered the burnt offering.  As soon as he finished offering the burnt offering, behold, Samuel came; and Saul went out to meet him and to greet him.  But Samuel said, "What have you done?" And Saul said, "Because I saw that the people were scattering from me, and that you did not come within the appointed days, and that the Philistines were assembling at Michmash, therefore I said, 'Now the Philistines will come down against me at Gilgal, and I have not asked the favor of the LORD.' So I forced myself and offered the burnt offering."  Samuel said to Saul, "You have acted foolishly; you have not kept the commandment of the LORD your God, which He commanded you, for now the LORD would have established your kingdom over Israel forever.  But now your kingdom shall not endure. The LORD has sought out for Himself a man after His own heart, and the LORD has appointed him as ruler over His people, because you have not kept what the LORD commanded you." (1 Samuel 13:8-14 NASB)
 This whole chapter seems either made up of pieces that didn't originally belong together or designed from the outset to make Saul look bad.  That second option may sound worse than it should since most of Samuel and Kings, and even Chronicles simply support the Davidic line of kings.  That would be hard to do if Saul comes off as a hero and great leader.  So it's possible he wasn't quite as bad as it seems, at least in "leadership" terms.

In a sense, Saul makes a good "leadership" decision.  It looks good from the standpoint of the need of the moment, the reality of the situation, and as a pragmatic option.  The one flaw in what he did is that it disobeyed God.  One flaw, but it was a fatal flaw.  If you take the time to read the entirety of the next chapter, it finishes off with a positive summary of Saul's reign.  He probably was a great leader.  But God wants more.

I have a huge book of "Leadership" books by John Maxwell on my work desk.  It's there partly because that was one of the things we could read at work.  But it is also there because I like his work.  He writes it from the standpoint of secular leadership, and I'm sure that for much of it Saul was right there with it.  But I know a bit about John Maxwell's background, and I know he is a believer in Jesus.  His work does not contradict Scripture, but an element that doesn't appear in most of his books is obedience to God.

What I learn from Saul is that obedience is better than going through the process or actions of worship.  He sacrificed what was needed, he did so to God, but he didn't do so in faith, he did it in pragmatic wisdom.  When it came down to it, he relied on himself rather than God.  And that, more than any other thing is probably what characterized his downfall.  Discussions about whether he suffered from some mental/emotional ailment are all well and good, but what destroyed him was his deviation from God's design.

Ironically, he had the same purpose as God, to drive out the Philistines.  Saul had the right goal, he just had more faith in himself than he had in the God of Israel.  He wanted God to bless his plans his way; to follow him instead of the other way around.  Samuel reveals to Saul that God wants something else, a "man after His own heart." 

When Samuel says that, literally, it says "a man as His own heart", as if the heart of the man God chooses matches, corresponds to, looks much like the heart of the Creator of the universe.  I tended to think of it as someone who pursues the heart of God (i.e. chases after...).  But this wording really means that David will be someone who looks very much like God's heart, as if he has God's heart.  That is very different; that describes someone who doesn't have to "pursue" God's heart because he's already got it. 

I didn't even think that was possible.  What does it mean that it is possible?  I feel a paradigm shift coming on.  Great.  I love change, especially fundamental character change...oh wait.  So what I have been pursuing, believing that's what my Master wants, I'm actually supposed to already have.  I'm supposed to have it so I can be of use to my Master in His purposes but also His designs.  Rather than spending time seeking, I'm supposed to already have it, and be busy with it.  Oh lovely.  Why does that feel like the day of the big exam at school, and I realize I've been studying the wrong chapter? 

I hate that feeling, like most people.  I feel like such an idiot, and that's an uncomfortable feeling.  But I think that becoming comfortable with that feeling of being an idiot is the beginning of humility.  It's the acceptance of my true standing before my Master.  Then I can also become comfortable with my Master's ways as opposed to feeling compelled to follow my own (remember how Saul had to "force himself" to disobey?). 

So, I'm supposed to live life "dumbed down" before my Master.  And my enjoyment of intelligent appearance must be laid at the feet of my Master.  And the reality of my wisdom (or lack thereof) should be my new "comfort zone."  I'm seriously thinking of re-writing this, but it's what I need.  Excuse me while I submit this too to my Master and relinquish more of my pride and myself.  Hopefully the next time we meet I'll look more like my Master than the old me.  Hope, hope, hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment