Thursday, June 20, 2013

But We're Supposed to Like Thunder

1Sa 7:10
10 Now Samuel was offering up the burnt offering, and the Philistines drew near to battle against Israel. But the Lord thundered with a great thunder on that day against the Philistines and confused them, so that they were routed before Israel.
(NASBStr)

So when Israel repents before God, they put away the Baal idols. This is an interesting detail when combined with what God did against the Philistines. Baal is the Canaanite god of storms, rain, and is characterized by thunder. The Philistines worshipped him, and the Canaanites, Amorites, and all the other 'ites' of the land worshipped him.

The Philistines have come to breakup an Israelite gathering, and as they approach to do battle they are greeted by thunder; great thunder'. Actually, thunder is used as a verb, and it has a great (loud) voice. So the One God of Israel thunders with a loud voice and defeats the Philistines; in a sense they are defeated by their own object of worship.

The idea is that my Master seeks the worship His human creatures would give to the things He created. The people of Israel fail when worshipping the 'god of thunder' but finally succeed when they worship the One having created thunder. And He makes this clear. These farmers and shepherds pursue the iron-clad Philistines with picks and staves defeating them, and taking two major cities from them. But they only are able to fight once they give up on the low god of thunder, and worship the One God making thunder.

When things in my life become too important, work, family, hobbies, recreation, 'my time', or whatever, my true Master will show me how they cannot compete with the Master of all things. There are lots of 'good' things that I become focused on, which become 'evil' as they eclipse my view of my Master. Sometimes I miss the fact that my view no longer includes my Master. That's part of His design, requiring that I seek Him, not just forcing Himself into my view. Instead He influences me by making me suffer for losing sight of Him.

This is the first thing I check when things go 'wrong'; is my Master in my view or have I been distracted again. If He isn't, I refocus, repent, and submit. If He is, then I know what I see as wrong is merely 'unexpected' and only to me, not my Master. It's a lot less stressful way to live, with my Master in view. I can walk on water without sinking if He calls me to. Now that's cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment