Wednesday, May 29, 2013

What Was Once Precious

Now the boy Samuel was ministering to the LORD before Eli. And word from the LORD was rare in those days, visions were infrequent. (1 Samuel 3:1 NASB)

Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, nor had the word of the LORD yet been revealed to him. (1 Samuel 3:7 NASB)

And the LORD appeared again at Shiloh, because the LORD revealed Himself to Samuel at Shiloh by the word of the LORD. (1 Samuel 3:21 NASB)
The word translated as "rare" in the first verse should have been translated as "precious" or "scarce"; something that conveyed the supply-and-demand relationship between how it was viewed and its frequency.  Much can be said of such a view of "a word from the LORD".   Instead, perhaps the abundance has had the opposite affect.  Yet not all the words are from my Master.

In Horton Hears a Who, his Who-ville on a puff flower was cast in a field of such flowers to hide it.  It is a common plot element in stories and movies to hide something among many examples of it.  I think it has become this way with a word from my Master.  So many voices cry out a word, claiming to be, sounding like, yet not a word from my Master.  The enemy tries to drown out the true word with a cacophony of vanity.

Perhaps the solution is to create a scarcity of words.  As my Master has said, "Cease striving and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10 NASB).  Silence, solitude, and quiet are such strangers in my life.  Maybe by cultivating those as companions the scarcity which will make a word from my Master precious and clear will be found once again.

Yet, isn't it favor from my Master that His words are so frequent, and easy to find?  Do I crave silence or perceived silence of my Master?  I want to hear better in the stillness, but I don't want my Master's words to be scarce.  Yet even without solitude and stillness, He speaks all around me.  I am truly blessed, covered in His favor that His word is so readily available to me.  The problem is me.  I don't treat the precious word of my Master with the value it deserves.

If I considered the word of my Master as precious, I would take every opportunity to hear it.  I would take every opportunity to read it, experience it, and wallow in it.  The word of my Master is shared at my church, but do I make that a priority?  The word of my Master is available to me through Scripture, yet do I spend my free time in it?  

I have opportunity every single day, multiple times throughout my day, to revel in a word from my Master.  I'm not unique, He's that prolific.  But how do I view His word?  Do I see it as the communication from the One forming stars, tracing quarks, creating at the outer reaches of the universe yet present with me? 

I like diversions in the form of games, reading, movies, and so on.  Why isn't seeking a word from my Master on that list?  Can you imagine if that's what believers did for recreation, studied Scripture for words from God?  Have I made my Master one option among many, or is He my only desirable option?  Have I finished my task, my chore, my entry in this blog, free to move on to the more enjoyable parts of my day?

No comments:

Post a Comment