Thursday, April 11, 2013

Politicians Then...And Now

But as he was discussing righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come, Felix became frightened and said, "Go away for the present, and when I find time I will summon you."  At the same time too, he was hoping that money would be given him by Paul; therefore he also used to send for him quite often and converse with him.  But after two years had passed, Felix was succeeded by Porcius Festus, and wishing to do the Jews a favor, Felix left Paul imprisoned. (Acts 24:25-27 NASB)

After Paul arrived, the Jews who had come down from Jerusalem stood around him, bringing many and serious charges against him which they could not prove, while Paul said in his own defense, "I have committed no offense either against the Law of the Jews or against the temple or against Caesar."  But Festus, wishing to do the Jews a favor, answered Paul and said, "Are you willing to go up to Jerusalem and stand trial before me on these charges?" (Acts 25:7-9 NASB)

Festus said, "King Agrippa, and all you gentlemen here present with us, you see this man about whom all the people of the Jews appealed to me, both at Jerusalem and here, loudly declaring that he ought not to live any longer.  But I found that he had committed nothing worthy of death; and since he himself appealed to the Emperor, I decided to send him.  Yet I have nothing definite about him to write to my lord. Therefore I have brought him before you all and especially before you, King Agrippa, so that after the investigation has taken place, I may have something to write.  For it seems absurd to me in sending a prisoner, not to indicate also the charges against him." (Acts 25:24-27 NASB)
 'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it wrongly, and applying unsuitable remedies'.
Sir Ernest Benn
If you don't understand my thought connection between the above passages, I recommend reading entire chapters where I found them.  If that doesn't help, please avoid polling places at all costs.  Please.

It almost goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway.  It seems my Master can still work through any political bonehead who somehow winds up elected or appointed.  It is a testimony to my Master's Sovereignty that no lack of intelligence, morality, or integrity can thwart His purposes.  It also gives me hope that I'm not such an incompetent idiot that I can't be used by my Master.  Perhaps I should run for office?

No comments:

Post a Comment