Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Unsung Martyr

Now about that time Herod the king laid hands on some who belonged to the church in order to mistreat them.   And he had James the brother of John put to death with a sword. (Acts 121-2 NASB)
Why is there no Gospel or Epistle by John's brother?  The Gospel of Mark is attributed to information from the Apostle Peter, as are two other letters.  The Apostle John is responsible for the Gospel of John, Revelation, and three letters. Where is the work of the Apostle James?  The other "Son of Thunder" is silent in the Scriptures.

When a deacon is forever silenced, he is given two chapters in the story of the early church.  His entire speech to his accusers is included.  The method of his execution, his last words, and some connection to the Pharisee Saul is included.  The persecution of the church throughout Judea is tied to this death.  So much pivots on this event, it's like a "watershed" event for the early church everywhere.

The brother of John, one of the inner circle of Jesus, the "other son of Zebedee" is given little ink in the Scriptures.  Most of what is in the Gospels lists him before his brother John, but there are not direct quotes (the closest being when he and John both request the seats of honor at Jesus' throne, and when they ask Jesus if he wants them to call fire down on the Samaritans).  He makes every list of the Apostles in every Gospel as second to Peter, yet when Paul mentions that he went to Jerusalem, only Peter, John, and James the brother of Jesus are included.  Why is there so little of this man in Acts?

No explanation is given why so little information is given.  Perhaps Luke didn't have much.  There isn't a lot in Apocryphal literature either, so maybe there just wasn't much to work with (even to make up).  The summation of the life of one of the major apostles is one sentence, except for one other comment, also often missed.  Herod notices that the death of John's brother pleases the people.  Not only is little written of this man, but when he does go, the people are glad.  Granted, the "people" aren't believers, but no mention of prayers going up for him are mentioned either.  I mention that because Luke specifically says prayers are being made for Peter.

In the absence of much in the way of data, what can I piece together about this great person who gets so little ink, who is the first of the Twelve to die for their Master?  Probably, if I combed through every mention of him in the Gospels, I might be able to surmise something of what happened here, but I doubt it.  So much changed after Jesus' resurrection and the day of Pentecost.  Trying to compare the account of James in the Gospels and then in this point in time in Luke would be impossible. 

I will point out one other thing though, and that is how Peter seems to have declined in prominence as Acts progresses.  Perhaps the role of the "Twelve" changes after the death of Stephen.  Peter is in charge, until Stephen is killed.  Once persecution hits the church, James the brother of Jesus seems to take over.  It's an odd thing, but I then wonder if these who hold the memory of direct contact with Jesus were sidelined, at least in leading the church.  Perhaps the decline in the prominence of this brother of John follows the same track, so this death is less impressive or important to the church than it would have been earlier on, perhaps before Stephen.

So, here's the lesson I draw from this:  Can I accept such a minor footnote after I'm gone?  It's really a dumb question since how would I know or why would I care (I'm hanging with my Master)?  But as I go, as the sword becomes a reality of my end, can I accept the little note in passing?  Or will I try to create drama, draw attention to myself, to "rail against the dying of a life"; will I seek to make it about me at the end?  Can I be content with so little?

Consider this, he is the only one of the Twelve who's death is mentioned in Scripture.  Also, he receives more ink in Acts than the other 9 (John gets to take a trip to Samaria, so he's got more ink, and obviously Peter has a bunch).  The other 9 are barely mentioned.  Even Matthias is given more ink than James, just not after he's an apostle.  In fact, I don't think the other 9 are mentioned (Matthias after he's an apostle).  The twelve men who had the whole story, and they're not even given a place of great prominence.

My point is that there are lots of people who have done and been more than I can ever hope to be, who have had much more influence than I can ever hope to have, but who get no ink at all.  So, once again, it's not about the ink, or rather it's not about me.  It will always be about my Master.  It wasn't this unsung martyr who is the main character in this story, it is instead the One he was a witness about.  It isn't about me, as whatever witness I am, but about my Master of Whom I am to be a witness. 

James the brother of John died as I should, only as a mark to a greater story in which my Master reigns as the main Character.  His only claim to fame is to set the scene for Peter's capture and release.  The first of the apostles to go, and here he is merely "set dressing".  I can expect even less.  Perhaps I'll be the guy with the broom cleaning the stage afterwards; not even in the program, just a guy in coveralls working in dim silence among empty chairs and discarded paper.  The question is will I accept such a role from my Master, the Star, Director, and Producer of the play?  You know, come to think of it, I've been meaning to get a push broom.  This could be good for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment