Monday, November 12, 2012

Warming Up the Light Bulb

While Peter was reflecting on the vision, the Spirit said to him, "Behold, three men are looking for you.  But get up, go downstairs and accompany them without misgivings, for I have sent them Myself." (Acts 10:19-20 NASB)

And he said to them, "You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a man who is a Jew to associate with a foreigner or to visit him; and yet God has shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean.  That is why I came without even raising any objection when I was sent for. So I ask for what reason you have sent for me." (Acts 10:28-29 NASB)

Opening his mouth, Peter said: "I most certainly understand now that God is not one to show partiality, but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him." (Acts 10:34-35 NASB)
  In our culture, we say that "the light bulb finally went on" to mean that we finally understood something.  It's an idiom that comes from the invention of the light bulb by Thomas Edison.  What is implied, but often missed is that understanding is often progressive.  Thomas Edison didn't just invent the light bulb while working on something else.  He had tried many times and eventually came up with the right mixture of elements and circumstances to make the filament glow.  Sometimes, that is how my understanding of my Master seems to happen.  Peter seems to have experiences like that as well.

The word translated "misgivings" in verse 20 is a Greek compound word of the preposition "through" and the verb "to judge".  In other words, the Holy Spirit didn't want Peter to decide through his own judgment whether to go with the men or not.  Peter had not "turned the corner" yet in his understanding of the vision he just had, so he was being prompted in his progress.  He asks the men at the gate, "why are you seeking me?"  He is seeking to progress his own understanding.  He wants the light bulb to go on.  But it doesn't just yet.

Once he reaches Cornelius' house, he still is not quite clear except that he is supposed to be there, the Holy Spirit said so.  So, he again seeks some clarity.  He asks for the context of this summons.  He wants the puzzle pieces he is missing.  He seeks the glowing filament.  Yet, it glows faintly already.  Peter says that he has been told not to call "any man unholy or unclean."  The bulb glows faintly because he has attached his vision of animals for food to people for association.  He has made that much of the connection, but he is still missing some parts to the puzzle.  How far will God take this acceptance of Gentiles?

The account details that Cornelius gives Peter completes his picture to a degree (more comes before he finishes his sermon).  As much understanding as he has, the light bulb glows.  Now he is able to understand that the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob now accepts the sons of Ham and Japheth.  It was difficult to finally understand and accept, but Peter finally reaches that conclusion.

How often am I so in the dark about the character of my Master that I miss what He is doing around me?  How long does it take for the light bulb to go on over my head?  Why does it take so long sometimes?  And what can I do to help it along in the progression?  Well, first off, way too often unfortunately.  Sometimes however long it takes to finally discuss something with a fellow believer.  Usually because I really like my own ideas, and am not really ready to test them with others.  Currently I have a group to field this stuff with so I have fellow believers who evaluate my opinions and help me gain clarity.  But that only helps for some things.

There are other pieces of understanding that only come through obedience to the part I do know.  Peter had to obey by going with the strangers in order to discover the rest of the story.  If he didn't leave Joppa until he had a complete picture, he never would have left.  I have to obey the parts I do know in order to reach a better understanding of the pieces I don't.  Sometimes it will be in retrospect, sometimes in the midst of the obedience, sometimes it won't come at all.  Since my understanding really is the progression of my Master revealing His character and will to me, I only get as much as He wants me to know.

So the combination of seeking the wisdom of others and obedience to the part I know makes up my progression to "illumination".  For the light bulb to go on for me, I need help, and I need to be faithfully obedient in the progression.  I need to let the bulb warm up some times.  And I have to be willing to accept as much light as my Master gives me.  It bewilders and shames me that I am so content to be so dim sometimes.  Time to jump in and mix it up!  Get dirty and discover more truth!  Weee!

No comments:

Post a Comment